Flash for low light outdoor wildlife photography in CR?

apragmaticoptimist

<p >I'm heading to Costa Rica next month and need to get a flash for low light outdoor photography. This will be for wildlife as well as macro. It seems to me that having a swivel head may not really be that critical since I'm not likely to be trying to bounce light of a side wall... there won't be many walls outside ;-). However, I'm completely new to other than pop-up flash photography, so I could be missing something.<br>

I'm currently considering the following: <br /><br />Pentax AF-360 FGZ <br />Metz 48 AF-1 <br /></p>

<p >And I would also consider the Pentax AF-540FGZ if someone convinces me I really need that swivel head or if it is that much better than the others for additional reasons that would be relevant to my type of wildlife photography. I like to photograph birds and also insects and plant life.</p>

<p >I am also trying to keep my kit as lightweight as possible. I plan to have the following with me:</p>

<p >K20D <br />DA 55-300 <br />An older 28mm manual lens - Auto Chinon <br />Monopod (maybe tripod, but certainly my monopod) <br />Spare battery for K20D <br />A point and shoot camera just in case <br />And other bits and pieces like memory cards and such</p>

<p >Any feedback from fellow nature and macro photographers or any other photographers would be appreciated.<br>

Thank you!<br>

Andrea</p>

<p>ANdre, no matter what flash you end up buying (I am not a Pentax person and can't help you with the flash itself) you might want to take a look at the Better Light Beamer : <a href="http://www.moosepeterson.com/gear/betterbeamer.html">http://www.moosepeterson.com/gear/betterbeamer.html</a>. It will extend the reach of your flash significantly, which will come handy when you need to shoot up into those high trees. It is cheap and light weight and doesn't take up a lot of space.</p>

<p>HI Andrea,</p>

<p>I'd get the Metz. I have the larger 58 AF which is considered by many of my pro peers as the best single strobe out there. I'd spend time learning to use PTTL and all the permutations. With my K20D, I favor PTTL flash setting, using M on the camera, but upping the flash exposure via the camera by 1 EV. And I save this as a USER setting. Also purchase a diffuser and reflector which will help concentrate or soften the light. Helps a lot with macro.</p>

<p>Also for jungle type of settings I'd consider something wider than 28mm, maybe a DA 21mm limited for size. If you are shooting macro, the excellent DA 35mm macro would provide the capability and the smaller size and weight.</p>

<p>I'd ditch the monopod. I find them useless for anything other than supporting a heavy lens and for shooting sports. For travel a monopod would be one more thing to weight me down and get in the way. I suggest an Ultrapod II minitripod that is lightweight and cheap (REI sells 'em for the best price). I use mine against the chest as a brace. I have three of 'em for each camera bag.</p>

<p>Finally, I'd suggest a third battery--the Minolta NP-400 is good and cheap. In my travels I find that the <em>third</em> battery is most critical, as I sometimes forget to recharge the second. If you are shooting flash you'll need more backup power anyway.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Hi Andrea,<br>

Juergen's suggestion is an excellent one. What ever flash you buy for out door wild life you'll want to buy or built a snoot for it. The better beamer is probably the best commercial product. But you can do quite well with some cardboard, tape and maybe some coroplast to make a slip on snoot to focus the light longer distances. Between the AF-360 and AF-540 The 540 has quite a bit more power and out doors you'll need / want the power.</p>

<p>You're going to get a lot of opinions between teh Sigma's, Metz, Pentax and someone will suggest a manual Vivitar 285HV. I like my two AF-540's they have plenty of power and work well in all camera modes which ever you decide to use.</p>

<p>Check out the everything you ever wanted to know and oh so much more google knol Pentax flash guide that Matthew Miller put together not long ago. I think he covered every current option. And if you find it useful and the price is right you might buy your new flash from one of his links. He'll get a small kick back that way for his excellent efforts.<br>

<p><a href="http://knol.google.com/k/matthew-miller/pentax-p-ttl-hot-shoe-flash-comparison/3jwk7bitq8i8/1?domain=knol.google.com&locale=en">http://knol.google.com/k/matthew-miller/pentax-p-ttl-hot-shoe-flash-comparison/3jwk7bitq8i8/1?domain=knol.google.com&locale=en</a>#</p>

<br>

/Roger</p>

<p>Thanks for the very helpful responses thus far. I have a lot to learn about flash photography. <br>

I forgot to mention that I also have the Raynox DCR-150 macro converter that I plan to use on the DA 55-300. This is my compromise to not having a true Macro lens just yet.<br>

I'll check out the 21mm you mention. I was thinking that I really would want a wider angle. <br>

Thanks much.... I look forward to any additional replies.</p>

<p>Hi Andrea<br>

I purchased the 540FGZ after also considering the 360 and other brand flashes. I find the swivel head extremely useful, because it adds so many options when it comes to bouncing of walls instead of the ceiling only, while it also allows for ceiling bounce in portrait mode. If you plan to do mostly wireless that would not matter, of course, but I find that in many situations it is convenient to have the flash mounted. It may not be much of an issue being outdoors, but come to think of it, the only bounce option you will have outdoors is a wall (in cases where bouncing is possible). For that reason alone I would put in the extra dollars to get the 540 or the Metz. Sigma also has a PTTL flash that supposedly is quite good. </p>