Nikon FE Problem: Overlapping Exposures

j._queue

<p>I am using a 'new to me' Nikon FE and I've ran about 12 rolls of film through it with no major problems. I have noticed that a few of the exposures are close to each other on the film strip but never gave it much thought. I shot and developed a roll yesterday and noticed that there are overlapping exposures on the roll. I have included a scan of that section of film below. </p>

<p>The problem could be user error but each time film is loaded it is tight and the teeth are in the sprocket holes. I am thinking it is more of a mechanical problem due to its age. Can this problem be easily fixed, possibly from a CLA, or is it a more involved repair? If so, who would be a reputable person to contact for a repair?</p><div>00Rs12-99685584.jpg.22b1033e061ff52f380b260001f3f442.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>The problem could be user error...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You can eliminate that as a cause. If the film advance is functioning properly, it's impossible for this to happen in the location on the film strip shown above due to a misloaded film. I suppose you might see it for the first and second exposures if you were really sloppy, but not at the 22nd. Either it loads and you get 24 (or 36) <strong>evenly</strong> spaced exposures, or it doesn't load at all.</p>

<p>This needs more than a simple CLA I think. There is something slipping in the film advance mechanism. And given the low cost of a replacement FE (under $100), paying someone to fix this one might not make a lot of sense.</p>

<p>Sorry ... don't have a repair shop to recommend to you.</p>

<p>I just had a moment of clarity and dug out the original purchase receipt for my FE. Today was the 60th day of KEH's 60 day warranty. I called and explained the problem noting the date of purchase and they told me to send it in for replacement. Like Michael noted, the repair cost would be more than the replacement cost. Short story is that KEH is great!</p>