Can I use a ZD back with 645 AF (no D)?

kevin_wong7

<p>Hello, my name is Kevin. Please, can anyone tell me if i can use a digital back, especially the ZD with a Mamiya 645 AF?? <br>

My guess is that it can but only just that it won't give the digital back information like shutter speed, lenses focual length etc?</p>

<p>While i am at this, any of you guys been using BOTH a Hasselblad 5xx and Mamiya 645 AF?? I've been using a Hassey but would like the AutoFocus and spot metering, hence the interest in Mamiya. How do you feel about the differences between the resulting photos from the 2 cameras? (any sample photos from you guys will be great...) I assume Hassey's will be sharper.</p>

<p>Many thanks for your responds, really appreciated!</p>

<p>Hi Kevin, I have a similar situation but with different cameras. I too shoot with a Hasselblad 500 which offers no auto focus or metering but I also shoot with a Mamiya RZ 67 which offers metering but no auto focus. I am thinking of buying a Mamiya 645 AF because of the automated features but don't want to go down in negative size. I also feel that using cameras that make you think about what you are doing pushes you to analyze and plan better for your shots. The images from the Hasselblad believe it or not are sharper and better planned than even the Mamiya sometimes but that could be me and not the camera. I think about the digital backs all the time but price is always a factor. I rented a 645 AFD a while back and although loved the ease of use didn't care much for the smaller size negs. If i was a rich man.... I would buy eery format out there and use them all. Hope this helps somewhat! </p>

<p>Have a great holiday!</p>

<p>Eddy </p>

<p><em><strong>"If i was a rich man.... I would buy eery format out there and use them all</strong></em>"<br>

I hope not. Because all you'd do is switch the point of indecision from the point of purchase- where at least it gets resolved when you buy - to the point of use, where you can get to delight in trying to make up your mind every single day. You'd never get out of the house.</p>

<p>On the second part of the original question, I've been using medium format for well over ten years and never felt the need for more than one SLR If I want to photograph in rectangles I can crop my 6x6 to the right proportions knowing I have enough real estate to give 645 or something less angular. I certainly wouldn't want to have two on the basis that one was better than the other. Frankly materially all the big brand MF slrs you can buy are able to support just about any size of print and until you got to a very big print you'd be unlikely to consider the differences material. With two medium format cameras I'd make the second a rangefinder which gets me to take photographs in lots of places where a 6x6 ( or a tripod)would be a problem.</p>

<p>Yes and No, If you use the Mamiya ZD back you have to send in your Mamiya 645AF to be upgrade so that it can handle the digital back. I belive the charge is around $800.00 or Free if you buy a new back from Mamiya.<br>

Another company that offers digital backs for the Mamiya is Phase One. Some of their older backs may be able to connect with out an upgrade.<br>

<br /> Good luck.</p>

<p>Thank you guys for your responses.<br>

HAving read your comments and tried out an AFD in the shop, now i have decided I WILL get the Mamiya 645 system. Just trying to find out in the web if the AFD is significantly better than the AF, in terms of auto-focus and metering accuracy. As there is a 50% difference in price.<br>

Cheers</p>