Nikon R1 use w/ D90: built in flash settings?

chad_hanna

<p>Nikon D90/Nikkor VR105mm/Nikon R1 Speedlight (SB200 x2)<br>

<!--StartFragment-->

<p >Greetings all. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to fire the SB200's without deployment of the D90’s built-in flash? Nikon uses the term "wireless" when referring to the SB200's, however, I can only get the SB200's to fire as slaves. My settings are as follows: Within the Custom Setting Menu--> eBracketing/flash-->e2 Flash Control for Built-in Flash-->Commander Mode ( Builtm-in flash Mode --, Group A mode --, Group B mode --). Any thoughts or advice on the matter, setting would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p >thanks, Chad</p>

<!--EndFragment--></p>

Wireless means exactly that - no wires, but commanding requires visible light/IR light from the built-in flash set as commander for communication.

How do you imagine commanding remote flashes if the built-in flash is not poped up?

Purchase SU-800 commander, so your in-camera flash will not be used.

I believe you got a filter with the Macro Kit ? that would cut out visible light portion off your built-in flash used as a commander.

Try to describe your problem and what possibly you are trying to achieve? Follow the instructions that are provided in the manual, and do exactly as described there.

<p>According to the user manual you can only do so using the SU800 or SB800 flash, and of course the SB900 which was not available when I bought an R1. Were you to use a non CLS compatible camera, then you could use the SU800 connected to the SB200 flashes via cables.</p>

<p>You might think they would allow direct control of the flash via cables from the camera to the SB200 units but clearly they thought for whatever reason, maybe technical, that it was not worth doing.</p>

<p><!--StartFragment-->

<p ><!--StartFragment-->

<p ><!--StartFragment-->

<p > <!--StartFragment-->

<p ><!--StartFragment-->

<p >Thanks Frank, Leif. I use the camera for intraoral photography. My intention of not using the built-in flash is to ensure that my image represents the actual hue/value/chroma of the hard/soft tissue as well as to reduce the amount of image burnout. I ask because with the camera set to Commander Mode the built-in flash drives the SB-200, however, by selecting TTL (e2 Flash Control for Built-in Flash-->TTL) instead of Commander Mode the flash fires but the SB200's do not. So there is obviously wireless communication between the SB200 units and the camera, in this case the camera is not telling the SB200 units to fire. Whether that communication is RF/IR or some other form is beyond me.</p>

<p >Yes, I did receive the SG-31r filter and read the instruction manual. Being that it was printed well before the production of the D90 it lacks explicit instruction for use of the R1. Most of the instructions are for use with the SU-800 commander.</p>

<p >Once again thanks for the reply and interest in the matter.</p>

<!--EndFragment--></p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

<p>Chad: The wireless comms is via IR. Just in case you did not realise, when you configure the commander mode via the camera menu, you can disable the built in flash, and yet still have it control the SB200 units. Set the built in power to "-". It will still fire, but the power will be reduced. The Nikon web site has product manuals and it is possible the R1 manual has been updated. Also check the D90 manual.</p>

Place the SG-3IR filter in the hot shoe of the camera. Pop up the built-in flash, and bend the filter flexible arm, and place the filter in front of the flash. This will cut off all visible light from the built-in flash, and only IR part of the spectrum will command the SB-200. No light from camera flash will record in the picture.

Setting built-in flash to "--" and not using the filter, will produce some visible light in the picture from the final CLS trigger signal, visible in the macro photography. That is why the filter was invented and provider.

You say:

"by selecting TTL (e2 Flash Control for Built-in Flash-->TTL) instead of Commander" - why are you doing this ? remote flashes require commander flash. Set the built-in as commander, use the filter over it, and only use 2 SB-200 flashes for macro photography. Make sure you use the same communication channel on all flashes, the built-in flash as commander,, and the remote SB-200.