Long lenses for Pros SD

bob_hack

I am looking to buy a longer lens than my 180. Everything I see listed on ebay

(mostly Mamiya APO) is for the RZ or 645 cameras. Sometimes the listing for

Mamiya APO's don't even say what camera models they fit. Can these be adapted

to the Pro SD? What are the compatibility issues or put another way what are my

options? Is there a site that has this kinda of info? Many thanks in advance.

Bob

250mm will show up on eBay once in a while, and I have only seen a couple bigger than that in the last year or so. I have a Cambon 2x tube that doubles the effective length of the lens for a loss of a couple stops. You will have much better luck finding one of those.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I really like using my 250mm lens on the RB and I would have no hesitation recommending you purchase one. I also have a 360mm lens which I use on occasion and personally I have been very happy with though you occasionally see less than glowing reviews of this lens. Both of my lenses were purchased ex rental so have had a busy life but as they cost next to nothing and work well I'm happy.

The 360mm lens is quite heavy and I suspect puts a bit of a strain on your camera so beware. There is also a huge 500mm out there but to be honest when reaching for this sort of length or greater 35mm digital is far more convenient.

My other favorite lens is at the other end of the spectrum the 37mm fisheye. The Mamiya websites have PDFs which contain a map of the complete RB system.

NB For other readers if you do not have a SD be carefull as the 500mm, and 75mm shift do not work with Pro S or Pro bodies if my memory serves me right.