Difficult to accurately focus M645

chad_worthman1

I recently got a used Mamiya M645 with 80mm 2.8 lens and the metered

prism viewfinder.

I'm finding it difficult to focus accurately indoors in fairly low

light, such as a living room lit with 1 or 2 100W lamps.

The focusing screen doesn't appear to have a split image, which would

probably help. I'm keeping the aperture open while focusing, then

stopping down before I press the shutter.

I feel like I'm frequently guessing at the focus point, going back and

forth trying to make sure the shot is in focus. I got this camera

last week and haven't gotten any film processed yet, so I'm still not

sure how successful my attempts will be.

Any tips on focusing with this camera, lens, viewfinder, focusing

screen combination?

Thanks,

Chad

First, there is a sliding plate (small) on the side of the lens near the camera marked with "A" and "M". Move this to "A" and the lens will stay open while you focus and close when you trip the shutter. This will keep the available light to the viewfinder as bright as possible. To check depth of field, move it back to "M".

Next, there are different screens that you can get for this camera and they are very simple to install. Just lift out the old and drop in the new. There are two different split image screens, one is horizontal and the other angled at 45 degrees. Check the used equipment vendors or ebay.

As you have it now with the factory screen, try to find things that are in bright light to focus on and you should be fine. In dim light and the factory screen it can be difficult to get focus, and I have never found anything that helps this except getting a split screen ground glass. Use the "A" setting on the lens and you should at least be able to shoot with a bit more ease.

Hope this helps!

- Randy

That's why you should invest in a nice waist-level finder with the flip-up magnifier. Focusing will be much easier. If you don't like the WLF, check out the unmetered prism, it is clearer and brighter than the metered prisms (and lighter). You could also get the f/1.9 version of the normal lens, it's a full stop brighter wide open (which you will use at "A").

Else practise with your current setup.

Chad,

Don't get frustrated yet, wait until you find out that you need to get a pro lab to precess your film. I went through both issues with my Hasselblad, I was ready to go digital when I got my first roll back. Now, I have learned to focus, and found a good lab. I am very happy with my camera now.

Be patient,

Terry