Problems with Esprit 750 Pro light kit

jonathan_moore1

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I need some help with a Bowens Esprit 750 Pro light kit. The problem is with the light kit's light stand grip/head/clamp/etc.</p>

<p>I'm not sure what the proper name for it is, but it's the peice that attaches to the light unit itself and allows it to attach to a light stand. Anyway, the piece has a 'rail' attachment on one side and a standard female stud attachment on the other which allows it to attach to a light stand. The knob/lever which tightens the grip/clamp and allows the light to tilt up and down has been over tightened and i cannot get it unstuck. What happens is as the grip/clamp's lever is twisted to loosen it, the handle slips and a notch and will not loosen. The best way for me to describe it is like when a alan wrench or screw is stripped and the screwdriver slips in the hole. Im pretty sure it is not stripped as the lever always skips to the next notch, but it never goes loose as if it's completely stripped. Essentially it has been over tightened and just cannot be loosened.</p>

<p>This really wouldnt have been a problem if they hadnt used a cheap plastic handle to tighten/loosen the tilt on the light's clamp/grip/etc. I've seen other grips (but not monorail) with metal handles/levers to loosen the tilt action of it, and no matter how tight they get, you can always get them unstuck.</p>

<p>Anyone know how i can find a replacement light stand grip (it's a monorail (dovetail style) grip) or possibly get it loosened again?<br>

Help would be incredibly appreciated. (aka please please help)</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Jonathan Moore</p>

<p>Hi Jonathan<br />I had the same problem with my Bowens Tri-lites, that use the same kind of clamp. The clamps are mostly aluminium and shouldn't be over tightened or left in the tightened position for any length of time. Which isn't answering your question!<br />What I did after spraying the metal parts with lube "although that didn't work due to the difficulty in getting the lube where it needed to be" was to get myself a pair of narrow jawed plumbers pliers "wrench" with as fine a tooth I could find. I used these to grip the 1/2" of aluminium grooved sleeve that you'll find at the back of the plastic hand lever and while gripping as tightly as possible, to avoid as much slipping and damage to the grooved ring, move the wrench anticlockwise until you hear a loud crack which should indicate the joint freeing up.</p>

<p>Good luck</p>

<p>You should be able to get service from the main Calumet Photo branch in Chicago.<br>

Service Repairs: +1 312.525.2055<br>

Calumet owns Bowens.<br>

Calumet/Bowens repair may need to install a new grip mount system on it. From you description, it sounds like someone dropped the unit from a high distance, which is something no light head is meant to withstand. It may make sense to have them perform a diagnostic on its circuitry as well.</p>