k200D jpeg quality setting question

micha_goldfine1

<p>The RAW will come in to the computer with no adjustments. For example, if you set the camera to monochrome, don't be too surprised if you see a color shot come in on the download. Near as I can tell, the main idea of RAW is to let you tinker with it later. Raw is raw data. Not an expert on this, but those are my impressions.</p>

<p>I did some tests and yes, the RAW files stay intact without any changes hence trying BW didn't effect that RAW. I just wish I could see the RAW + JPEG on the LCD screen s when I shoot RAW+JPEG the LCD only displayes the RAW file or the JPEG but shows the DNG format on the top left corner. that's why I was confused.<br>

thanks<br>

Micha</p>

<p>My guess (yes, guess) is that it probably affects the JPEG preview embedded in the RAW file, and when you review on the LCD, you're probably seeing that embedded JPEG. Could be wrong. I guess as a test you could take two similar RAW shots, one with max saturation & contrast and the other with minimum saturation and contrast and see if you can tell the difference on the LCD. Then compare the two shots on your PC later. Not sure what it does if you shoot RAW + JPEG but it may use the real JPEG then?</p>

<p>I suppose it is also possible that those settings might be used as input for a RAW converter, but would guess that most don't do it and instead just use their own defaults. Perhaps Pentax's does, but I wouldn't count on it.</p>

<p>I normally just leave the camera on RAW, Natural, and have all three sliders at -1. If shooting JPEG (like on digicam) I might make these settings even lower. I'm generally of the opinion that it's more effective to boost contrast, saturation, or sharpness during post-processing than it is to take them away as all of these are somewhat destructive.</p>

<p>More confusion. So now I learn by shooting RAW you forfiet the "digital advantage" of preview for accuracy? </p>

<p>It seems to me that by using the supplied Pentax RAW converter, the recognized in-camera settings ARE used. In which case, Javier's suggestion for shooting in "natural" mode would be useful.</p>

<p>I shoot mainly JPEG, because RAW just has too many (such) issues, but for me, this camera's results have been largely low in contrast at default setting. Most shots, I find, benefit from the "auto contrast" button in photo shop. The shots look fairly ok on screen as they are, but screen viewing is a back-lit medium. If I make a print they are dull as bat crap unless I use that button in PS. I like my out of camera shots from my K100D better. </p>

<p>why are you using jpeg Michael? in some cases there are OK but you should really start shooting RAW and use Lightroom or aperture. you can always do a batch conversion to jpeg. it will probably produce a way better result then the in-camera jpeg converter. I think Pentax is OK as any camera when it comes to RAW but jpeg is too "unreal" and lacks information.<br>

Micha</p>

<p>I like shooting photos, Micha, but I don't much like tinkering at a computer for any length of time. One reason I still enjoy shooting film so much. Oh, I do it to some extent with select images. </p>

<p>I don't have lightroom, and from what I have read, no intention of getting it. For me, too much trouble. I bought PS 7 after I already had PSE1, and wish I had not spent the money. Very confusing and time consuming. I have spent hours and hours with little result. I am slow with the computer keyboard and mouse. Hunt and peck. Don't understand the specialized lingo like "cut and paste" when I click on it nothing happens. </p>

<p>I have tried doing the RAW conversion, but I see little or no difference, when shooting with a good JPEG camera, like the K200D and K100D. Except more often than not, if I get intrigued into making "adjustments" the RAW image I "adjust" winds up looking worse than the camera's JPEG!!! So I don't bother. The *ist-D is not in the same league, and only good for RAW.</p>

<p>BTW I do realize RAW has some visible advantages under certain conditions, like less likely to blow out highlights, and greater latitude for post process alterations, if that is desired. So with the K200D I have the RAW button for some shots just in case. I would not dream of shooting RAW for my sports shooting as Justin does. I want the faster writing and card space for one thing. And the last word in quality is a non issue. There are some who are whiz bang at PP and shoot all RAW. </p>