Help! 5D MK II switch off problem

dinkra_jones

<p>I have an urgent question for all users of 5d Mk II. If you switch off your camera, what happens then to the light next to the wheel (above the on/off button).<br>

Here's my problem: when I switch off the camera, the light (on page 30 of the manual, they call it the access lamp) goes on. While the camera is on, the access lamp is funtioning as it should, so blinks while reading info to the card. Normally when the access lamp is blinking or on, this would indicate that you cannot open the card slot and cannot open the battery compartiment. Since the lamp switches on when I switch OFF the camera, there is clearly something wrong with the system. According to the manual you may damage the card or camera when you open the card slot or battery compartiment while the access lamp is on. The first day everything seemed to work fine. After switching off the camera, the access lamp switch off as well. When I woke up this morning, I immediately noticed the access lamp was on, while the camera was clearly switch off. I removed the battery, changed memory card, tried taking pictures again, but still no improvement. Anybody had a similar problem? With a D1 or 5D or 5D MKII? Please advise... Thanks! (Going to Africa soon, so really need to sort this out asap)</p>

<p>I cannot speak for the 5DMkII ... The old 5D will keep the light on (even if switched off) when there are still images in the cameras internal buffer that need to be written to CF card. After all images have been written, this light goes out. If I remove the CF card (while camera is switched off) and plug the CF card in again, the light will go on for a fraction of a second and will then go out again.</p>

<p>But from the described behaviour, its obvious, that the off-switch doesn't really really interrupt the power supply. Since you already removed battery (for a while not just for a few seconds? and hopefully removed the little buffer battery cell as well?) without success, I would eventually load the actual firmware (even if that's the same version as you already have) from Canons website and reload the firmware into the camera.</p>

<p>I bought a use 85 1.2 v2. It did this same thing and I also noticed that the battery drained quicker. I exchanged it for a new one and the problem was gone. Try changing lenses if you have a spare. I tried cleaning contacts but nothing worked except removing the offending lens. No other lenses have done that on my 5d before or since. I believe my 'access light' would also flash periodically and I remember timing it...maybe every six seconds...I googled quite a bit and found nothing and the service department for a large camera dealer had also never known of such an instance. Anyway, the good news is that it might not be the body.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the suggestions.<br>

Here's what I did so far:<br>

- changed the CF card<br>

- formatted the card (brand new 8GB IV)<br>

- changed the lens<br>

- tried without a lens, so body only<br>

- took out battery and recharged<br>

- took out CF card completely for a while<br>

No result unfortunately. There was a tiny change, just out of the blue, when the access lamp started to show some fluctuation in intensity, after which it switched off. Only to switch on again 10 seconds later and start fluctuating again. This happened about 30 times. Then full force back on. Even with the card door open en card out, lamp is still on. Strange things are happening...<br>

Rainer T, thanks for pointing out the battery for date/time. I tried to open the compartiment where the date/time battery is located (page 197 manual), but was not able to do so. I can unscrew it, but then it gets stuck on the right hand side. I get a bit of a movement left, but then total block. What can I do to open it anyway (and without damaging the body)? Any ideas how to proceed?<br>

Next step will be reloading of firmware, but am inclined to try the date/time battery first.</p>

<p>Update from the blinking front:<br>

I managed to take out the date/time battery. Took some videos, some pictures with it, different settings. Immediately after that, the access lamp stayed off when I switched off the camera and I decided to leave the camera off for a while just to see what happens. About an hour later it suddenly started switching on and off again, all by itself, while the camera hasn't been moved around and was still switched off. Demons indeed!</p>

<p>Hi Dinkra,</p>

<p>I have seen this type of issue in the 5D when the CF pins get bent or there is some residue between the pins. If i were you i'd check the card slot and check to see if the pins are ok. If the pins are bent, Canon may not cover this under warranty as it is considered user damage (usually) although i have seen cards which are defective and can cause the pins to bend when inserted.<br>

Best Regards<br>

Mark</p>

<p>Final update<br>

Just called Canon and they presume it is a problem with the body. I can send it in and get a replacement. When asked whether it is a familiar problem, I didn't get a straight answer. Just glad they gave me the all clear to exchange it... I just found out they're expecting a new delivery in the week to come in the UK, so should not be too much of a hassle. (Delivery confirmed by several high street stores. Called them earlier today.)<br>

Thanks for the feedback!<br>

Dinkra</p>

<p>Did you format the CF memory card in camera, or in your computer?</p>

<p>It's okay to format or erase the card in computer, but I think that should always be followed by formatting in the camera.</p>

<p>Aside from this, before sending it in for service I'd try two other things:</p>

<p>1. Do full 'reboot' of the camera. That means removing all the batteries, including the silver 'memory battery' (probably a CR2016 or similar) and letting the camera sit for half an hour to an hour, then reinstall the batteries. This will reset everything to factory defaults and you'll lose your date & time, and any custom functions you have set. Make sure you don't handle the little silver battery by the contact areas, you want to keep it clean of finger oils.</p>

<p>2. Check for firmware updates and install any you find on Canon's website.</p>

<p>Oh, and you aren't by any chance making long timed exposure and have long exposure noise reduction turned on, do you? Sometimes, with some models NR 'takes' a second, blank exposure equal to the initial exposure, to map out and subtract noise from the 'real' exposure.</p>

<p>If in spite of the above it continues to act up, I'd exhcange it or get it serviced as soon as possible.</p>

<p>Thanks Alan. I'll be able to get a new one tomorrow, so just going to opt for that solution. Tried so many things, even the little battery. Thanks anyway! (For those in the UK: there are camera's available, don't know how fast they will sell or if they're only reserved for pre-orders and faulty ones)</p>