What is a Rollei magic?

jeff_oltman

Hi !

I just picked up a Rollie magic, and I know nothing about it . It is the first camara i've ever owned and I was never interested in camera's before but this one caught my eye. And I guess now I'm hooked. Now I am having a lot of trouble finding anything about it.

Was this a dog in the Rollie line? Is it not sqaure, I measured the place for the film and it looks like a 645, also the counter goes to 16. It looks like new and has the leather case (typical thread problem). Is the aperture and shutter speed controlled by the R.H. thumb-wheel together? Also looks like the light meter is hooked in with the shutter, am I right?

Do you have any idea of the production amount for this model . The serial # is 2513033, which I think is circa 1960

I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm like a kid with a new toy now !

Thanks in advance

Jeff (Phoenix,Arizona, USA)

dear jeff, I've owned two rolleimagics, they're good cameras to a point. The rollei company tried to integrate auto exposure in their line of cameras, trying to stay technologically competive. Their were two rolleimagic models. The first had complete automation, with the ability to set the aperture manually for flash; that's the dials onthe side of the camera. Shutter speed and aperture are both set automatically, in normal operation. Don't forget to set the film speed in the attached meter! The model two had the same automation as the number one, but offered the ability to set the shutter speed and the aperture manually. Most had excellent german lenses, shutters, and meters. The automation is basic, compared withe today's, but you can get sme great pictures with it! Runa roll of 120 film through it and have some fun! Sincerely, Robert C> Harvey

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
The ROLLEI MAGIC I (very ugly/sick, sick) and the MAGIC II (ugly) are really just a Rolleiflex chassis in which F&H tried to get closer to a point and shoot device and meet the competiton of the NIP SLR units then hitting the street - the market thought they were crap - total production of about 35,000, impossible to repair even back then (for 1 1960- 1961 and for II 1962-1968) - the meter, a critical component of the MAGIC system was not based on using a battery, but the Selinium cell - non replacable-non repairable -most of these crock's meters have gone West by now, so you basically have a manual camera, which is OK for TWO but NOT ONE - those who say it takes a beautiful photo are right - if they have a working Magic - but these odd-balls used the same optics as Cord/Flex of the era, and that has nothing to do with the Magic part of things - ONE definately not user friendly and TWO the earlier mistakes mostly fixed, save the meter, far better to get a Cord (minimum V at $200.00 NO MORE for one in very, very good condition) or a Flex 4 at the market priced bid up by idiots who think Rollei's are related to the hope diamond. You need a manual - go to www.google.com, enter Rollei Manual, for a free download - sorry, but I have to leave as I feel sick

• 3 years later...

Don't listen to the Rollei snobs out there! This camera isn't too bad at all. In fact, if you've ever used a Yashica TLR... this camera is far, far superior in build and finish. It even has a removable hood and screen (which at the very least means that you can keep the viewfinder clear of dust!).

The problem is that the selenium light meters (built by Gossen) may provide unreliable readings as they are getting rather old now. It's pot luck really (my Magic II works perfectly). For that reason, buy a Rollei Magic II which has manual override. In addition, because Rollei only made 12,000 Magic II's... they are one of their rarer cameras.

Whatever you do.. go out and use it. You won't be disappointed!

• 6 years later...
<p>For manual operation, set it to flash (red) and the shutter speed will be set to 1/30 sec and you can adjust your f/stop accordingly. Set to (green), you can set the f/stop and the shutter is set to bulk.<br /> FYI on the side next to the shutter trigger, there is a cable release. (It is not well indicated even on the user guide.)</p>