T90 viewfinder information with a Sunpak auto 622 pro-system flash

krooshof

<p>I use a canon T90 for most of my photography, mainly with a 35mm f/2 s.s.c. concave front element and a 85mm f/1.2 L. I would like to start with flash photography, and I bought a Sunpak auto 622 pro-system for 5 euros (!). With it came a CA-3D dedicated unit that is supposed to support TTL with the T90 and EOS cameras. I use a EXT-11 cord to connect the dedicated unit to the flash.<br>

When I power up the camera and the flash, with the flash in TTL mode and the camera on program, I see the following information in the viewfinder:<br>

the shutterspeed: 1/90 sec.<br>

the aperture: 2.0 (the maximum aperture of the lens)<br>

the green flash ready symbol.<br>

Can any of the photographers here at the FD forum tell me if the camera will work properly in TTL mode like this, or has any of you experience with sunpak strobes on the T90? I've not been able to find out on the internet how this combo is ment to work.<br>

Thanks<br>

Douwe</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have never heard of a non Canon Flash that would TTL with the T-90. Doesn't mean your doesn't. But you would most likely only have limited function. Do you have the manual for the flash?</p>

<p>if not you can find one listed on this page:</p>

<p>http://www.butkus.org/chinon/flashes_meters/sunpak_flash/sunpak_flash_units.htm</p>

<p>here is a thread where the flash is discussed</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/003ibV</p>

<p>Good luck Flash and a Canon T-90 are the closest I have ever come to leaving the system LOL.<br>

I finally sat down and using my flash meter figured out what the TL-300 was doing most of the time.,</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There is a difference between a dedicated flash and a dedicated flash which also works in TTL flash mode. I thought the Sunpak flash which was TTL capable was the 555. I don't have a T90 so I donlt remember whether it even has TTL flash capability. Most of my TTL flash work is done with Minolta X-700s with 280PX and 360PX units.</p>

<p>I have a sunpak 555 flash that I have used with the t-90, I requires the dedicated module. I do not know if the 622 has the same option, but I suspect it might. You could probably find out on the sunpak website.<br>

I believe that what you are seeing in the viewfinder is correct. There are 3 options on my 555, fully manual(M), auto(A), and TTL(the circle in the middle).<br>

I always use it with the t-90 in apurture priority mode, the camera will sync at 1/90sec.<br>

That being said I almost always use the 300tl on my t-90 because it has A-TTL for fill flash, the sunpak 555 does not perform that way. I actually use the 555 with a home made 24" x 24" softbox for portraits as a fill light.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you Buzz, for pointing out that this is how the sunpak is supposed to work. I know that the 622 should work in ttl mode, because it is suggested in the manual. It is just strange that you see the maximum aperture value blinking in the viewfinder of the T90.<br>

Thank you for the tip on the 300TL. I will probably get one eventually, but the sunpak 622 was just dirt cheap, and it has a guide number of 200ft! (270ft for a 135mm lens with the zoom head...)<br>

Thanks again,<br>

Douwe</p>