4x5 film to and from England?

jonpaulgallery

<p>Looking for most recent input here due to frequent security changes!<br>

I am traveling to England from the U.S. for the holidays (December 18-31) and will bring my 4x5. Will there be any issues with hand checking the film by security? I have never had problems within the U.S. Will I have issues coming back home from London? Suggestions?</p>

<p>Thanks-Jon</p>

<p>Yes you will,</p>

<p>Heathrow and Gatwick will not hand check film. It doesn't matter what accreditation you have, if it is going on a plane then it goes through the xray machine. This is not as bad as it sounds though, I have been through them many times and have never had a fogging issue even with multiple passes with pushed high asa film, and I have never seen anybody that has, I am not saying it has never happened, just that I have never seen it.</p>

<p>On another note, make sure your carry on baggage is within dimensions and weight as applied to your airline and flight type, you will be forced to check bags that don't meet carry on criteria and they can be very authoritarian, both at check in and security, supervisors will always back up their colleagues.</p>

<p>Take care, Scott.</p>

<p>I just in the last week returned from London, flying out of Heathrow Term 5. They would not do a hand check on 120 or 4x5 film , and ran it though the scanner. I developed the film and there were no problems at all. I have never had a problem with running film at airports, train stations at all, with as many as 11 passes on a trip.</p>