5D Mk2 & 24mm TS-E

paul_russell1

<p>Anybody used? Any images you can post? I use this lens a lot, behaves well on my film 3, pretty stroppy on the 400D (viewfinder too small, cropping loses most of the effect), feedback wasn't great on the 5D (vignetting, fringing in corners), so has the 5D Mk2 improved things any?<br>

I await with baited breath.<br>

Ta.</p>

<p>Well, chromatic abberation is a hallmark of this lens when shifted/tilted, film or digital, but in my experience it is importanat only in a very few real-life situations and when pixel or "silver-halide" peeping :-) Besides, it is nothing that a decent PP technique can't tackle. If you overshift ona full frame (shift or tilt into the red zone) there will be vignetting (that's why there is a red zone...) regardless of the camera used. I have been using the 24/3.5 TS with many cameras, including 5D, 1Ds2 and 1Ds3, without any issues provided that I remember about its limitations. Great, very useful lens with a very bad internet rap (coming mostly from the people who have never used it...)</p>

<p>Someone - I think an urban landscape/architectural shooter - once called the 24mm TS-E the "One and only soft, aberrated, vignetting, big, heavy lens I'd absolutely never want to be without!"</p>

<p>I've used it with film cameras a lot in the past and on crop sensor now, where it's just a slightly wide "normal" but still plenty useful. Looking forward to getting a full frame DSLR... Tired of waiting for Canon to make a 20mm or 18mm TS-E!</p>

<p>I have no complaints on the 5D Mk I -- the images you can capture with this lens and no other outweigh any complaints I might have (#1 complaint is that it's not f/2.8)<br>

Here's a few examples (not cropped).<br>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/31735459@N07/sets/72157611144041713/">www.flickr.com/photos/31735459@N07/sets/72157611144041713/</a></p>

<p><em>(#1 complaint is that it's not f/2.8)</em><br>

If you could elaborate on how the half-stop difference (between f/3.5 and f/2.8) affects your photography with the lens in question maybe we (or at least I) will learn something new...</p>

<p>Manual focus in dim lighting, especially when using tilt. EE-S focus screen on the 5D can be pretty dark indoors when using a lens darker than f/2.8, and even the difference between f/2.8 and f/3.5 is noticable. </p>

<p>In fact, Canon describes the EE-S only for lenses f/2.8 and brighter, which is somewhat of an overstatement -- I've used it with the 17-40mm f/4 and it's bright enough that I don't bother switching back to the EE-A, but then again I don't try to manually focus the 17-40.</p>