Canon AE-1 program accesories

cindi_mcdaniel

<p>I just bought this camera. It came with a FD 50mm 1:1.8 lens, a 2X teleconverter, a 200mm macro zoom lens, a F700 blitz zoom bounce flash, and a power winder.<br>

This camera is a gift for a friend who has wanted one for a long time.<br>

My question is what other accessories, lens, or flash would you recommend for this camera? To be honest, I have no clue what the lens or flash that came with the camera are even for.<br>

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. If there are must have accessories I would like to purchase them before I give the camera as a gift.<br>

Thank you,<br>

Cindi</p>

<p>Here are some of the goodies I got. I confess that I sort of collect Spiratone goodies and a Spiratone Auto-winder (Model C-Tr) came with an AE-1 Program attached. So then I picked up a 50mm f/1.4, a 35-70mm zoom, and a 70-210mm zoom. I also got a Spiratone 20mm lens in FD mount, and I also got a couple of FD T-Mounts. Just make sure that the lenses you buy have the green <em><strong>A</strong> </em> on them so the aperture works automatically on the camera. New focus screens are also nice, especially if like me and others you have got deteriorating rubber sponge over the existing screen :(<br /> Anyhow, the great news, of course, is that you can do something like this with very little cash outlay. I think that the 50mm f/1.4 may have been the most expensive of the lot.</p><div>00RleU-96815584.jpg.b564afe8ec40be0ffe3277cded2dbfb3.jpg</div>

<p>The AE-1 Program has interchangeable focusing screens. I would look for a grid type screen. It makes macro work and using zoom lenses a lot easier. The standard screen has a split image in the center and a microprism collar. These focusing aids black out with slower lenses and in low light. There is a 50mm f/3.5 Canon macro lens on eBay now for $35 (Buy-It-Now). That would make a good addition to any Canon FD outfit. The original Canon flash units for this camera were dedicated but would still not give TTL flash metering. A new Vivitar 285 with some accessories would be just right. B&H should have a good price for this unit. The Canon 28mm f/2.8 is a very reasonably priced wide angle with decent quality. </p>

<p>Cindi, as long as the camera and the lenses that you have now work as they should, you´ve got the basics of a system there. The 50mm is a standard lens, the other stuff is telephoto, so as Jeff suggests, if you wanted a wide angle lens as well the 28mm f2.8 Canon lens is good value for money. Not knowing what kind of photography your friend is interested in makes it difficult to recommend other lenses. It might be better not to get too much straight off, and let them experiment with what you´ve already got there. The Canon AE-1 Program takes Canon FD lenses (not Canon EF lenses which fit the EOS range), and FD lenses are good quality and cheap to pick up secondhand on ebay etc (because they don´t fit EOS).</p>

<p>I've got a bunch of A-series cameras, including this one. Two things to give with it as a gift (if it doesn't have it already): 1) a new battery for it, and 2) the little plastic tab that normally sits in the hot-shoe. That little tab doubles as a key that pops the battery compartment open, and it's a nice little tool to have. They're often missing on these cameras. You don't *need* one--you can pop the battery compartment door open with other things; but a lot of these cameras (especially AE-1s and their sisters) have the doors disintegrate because people gouge them with screwdrivers or car keys and other things. The little plastic tab is much, much kinder to the door latch.</p>

<p>Cindi the guys have given you good advise. To what they have suggested I would add.</p>

<p>FILM a photographer with a new camera can never have enough film.<br>

the new battery as mentioned<br>

THE MANUAL can be downloaded here for free:<br>

http://www.canonfd.com/choose.htm<br>

the page is here:<br>

http://www.canonfd.com/pdf/ae1p.pdf<br>

The 28mm f2.8 Lens is also a good great idea.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Cindi,<br>

You have the start of a good camera system. There are many great lenses out there that can be had at a reasonable price. But, before you start buying a full bag of lenses, I would recommend getting some film. This will allow your friend to get started right away, and then they can take their time with lens selection depending upon the type of photography that they are doing.<br>

You already have a 50mm to start, and the Canon FD 28mm f2.8 is a good deal. They can be found for less then $40.00. Additionally, the Canon FD 100mm f2.8 is also a super lens, and is my favorite. Thye can be found for less then $100.00 without much effort. A good tripod can also be had for little money, and this will help in many situations.<br>

A great film for everyday use is Fuji Reala 100 ISO. It is great stuff, and you will not be dissappointed. Also, look into Fuji PRO 160S for portraits. Kodak also has some great film, such as their portra line of film, and for colorfull photos I like the Kodak Professional Ultra Color ISO 100. Pick up a few rolls of 400 ISO film for lower light situations, and you have a good start.<br>

I usually buy my film from either B&H Photo or Adorama Photo in New York. I buy via mail order, as they have great prices, and the best selection around. If you catch one of their sales you will be buying profession quality film cheaper then you can buy the cheap stuff at Walmart!<br>

Have your friend get the film scanned to a CD when processed. This will enable them to do everything that one wants to do digitally. For example, you can then E-mail photos this way.<br>

Good luck!<br>

Jeff</p>

<p>Hi Cindi:<br>

You don't say where you bought the camera. These "A" series cameras are very nice but many that have not been serviced in years have an annoying and possibly harmful "sqweek" sound whenever the camera is fired. It's caused by dried out lube on the mirror governor. If not addressed long term it will cause failure of the mirror to rise and fall properly. Also cameras this old generally need new seals around the rear door and mirror box foam. You can see the foam inside the camera with the lens off. the foam lives where the mirror strikes the top when the camera is fired. The seal around the door can be see by opening the back and looking closely around the edges. If you hear that sqweek sound or if the foam is in poor shape, the camera may need service now or soon. Just a heads up. BTW, that camera is a very nice gift to give someone. Best..................Lou</p>

<p>Cindi,<br>

Probably one of the most useful and rewarding things you can purchase to improve your photos outdoors would be a polarizer filter.Like Mark said get a owners manual and it will explain how to use it properly.Lucky for you the Canon A Series (like your AE1p) uses the inexpensive linear type - about $20.Get a good quality brand like Tiffen or Hoya.The cheap ones will do nothing but degrade the images coming through that great Canon FD lens.A polarizer will make the colors explode on a sunny day and you will never regret the money spent.</p>

<p> </p>