su-800

sean_underhill

<p>I'm looking at buying an SU-800 to use as my commander for my creative light system. <br>

I currently have an SB-600 and I'm looking to add a couple of more flashes to my system. I'm not sure if I should throw down the money and buy a SB-900 or get more flashes for the money with buying SB-800's or 600's<br>

So I guess my question is there any advantage to the higher end flashes when using the su-800 as your commander?<br>

Also I've been happy with my SB-600 except I think it has a tendency over filled a scene when used in commander mode off camera. I'm hoping the SU-800 will solve this.</p>

<p>When you use the SB-600 off-camera now, presumably you're using your camera's built-in pop-up flash as the commander (which camera, by the way)? If so, are you dialing the pop-up's power down to "--" so that it isn't adding to the scene's overall light (by much)?<br /> <br /> If you're mainly looking at off-camera flash use, I'd save some money and go with another SB-800. A lot of what makes the 900 worth the extra $ is the brains it has when it comes to sensing the camera it's physically sitting on (DX vs. FX, for example). And while it can cycle faster than a 600 or 800, that's no much help in a multi-strobe situation, since you have to wait for the slowest one in the group, regardless. More light modifiers, stands, etc., will probably be worth more to you than the marginal differences between an 800 and 900.</p>

<p>I'm using it on a D300.<br>

I'm leaning towards the SB-800 do it's ability to to cycle faster than the SB-600.<br>

One of my primary reasons for getting a SU-800 is not having that preflash go off in front of your subject. Most of my portrait subjects it doesn't bother but I've found that some have a very fast blink reflex, my kids in particlular, and they always have their eyes closed in the photo. Not so good to have every photo with their eyes closed when they are paying you.</p>

<p>While I prefer an SU-800 for its user interface, there is a cheaper solution to the blinking problem -- use an SG-3IR, or just a piece of exposed, developed print film (like a piece cut from the leader) taped over the on-board flash. Either of these blocks the visible light while allowing the infrared through, so your subjects won't blink and your remote(s) will still fire.</p>

<p>I have used all combinations of SU-800/SB-800/Builtin flash for the controller at some time or another. If the power of the controller is set at --, then it's output is very low and doesn't contribute greatly to scene lighting. However, I've recently discovered that when photographing metallic objects that visible light controllers do produce hot spots on such subjects. The good thing about the SU-800 is besides the easy/dedicated interface, is that it's IR control as opposed to visible flash control.</p>

<p>The SU is very nice for when you need to change remote output. A lot easier than going into the menu. Also, when used with a cord, you can aim it at your units for firing at odd angles. Also, it allows control of three groups.</p>

SU-800 has the Macro mode, while SB-800 minimal flash to subject distance for automated exposure is much longer, but you can always move back fashes if very close focus macro is used. Read your flashes specifications, it always helps.

Listed SU-800 has 2x longer operating range than any other CLS commander, when not in the Macro mode.