Bag for M6TTL (and accessories)

Hello!

I need to buy a bag - and quickly for my M6TTL and accessories. I am

tempted simply to go for the Leica leather bag (although I find all

camera bags too flimsy for such delicate equipment). Am I right in

thinking that the Leica leather models (according to the Leica

website) are being discontinued? Can someone shed some light?

I am not bothered about cost so VFM is unimportant. Any particularly

good place in London to buy it from - the usual supects aside?

Thanks, as ever - my first post on the new forum.

PD

What accessories do you have? I have an M6, 35 and 75's, and a flash, etc. I find the Billingham 225 to be a great bag- protective from weather and bumps. Dunno if I'd go with black canvas again, maybe the tan since black shows anything on it (lint magnet). Good luck. www.tamrac.com also has some good bags I think.

Impossible to answer this question without asking a few more:

What equipment besides the M6 are you planning on fitting?

Are you planning to work out of the bag or is it for secure transport eg on airplanes, or both?

How sensitive are you to weight and bulk?

How discreet do you want to appear?

If you read through the 'accessories' archives you'll find many people swear by the Domke 803 Satchel, which I do. If you're so worried about your camera getting the odd knock, maybe you should leave the Leica at home and buy something that you'll really take pictures with. After all, that's what the camera's are made for.

I have a tan Billingham Hadley on order which will probably arrive coming week. So no experiences yet.

I do have a 10 years old Billingham 205, a smaller sister of the 225, and it's too boxy for me. Very well padded and very durable bag but heavy and too big. Large enough though for M6, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 90mm, SF20 flash and small accessories.

Domke 803 holds one body with lens, plus two extras (or possibly more) in cases. Has two pockets for flash and spare film, plus an envelope pocket in the back for flat stuff (like a garbage bag in case it rains).

Domke F6 (smaller bag) holds two bodies with short lenses, plus four extra lenses in cases. Inside flap pocket for filters and batteries, outside envelope for flat stuff and garbage bag. Large front pocket for flash, film, tabletop tripod etc etc.

Both come in black, tan, olive, and navy (my choice being olive as if fades to military-ish looking non-camera bag color)

I have the Leica hard leather bag. I have used the Leica soft leather bag as well. And I have a J803 Domke. I looked at the Billinghams but found them to be a bit too stiffly made for my taste.

The Domke wins hands down. It holds an M6 plus three lenses, flashes, 25 rolls of film, meter, tripod, and two changes of clothes plus international travel papers, guidebooks,mobile phone and sundry items.

Honest. And it conforms to your body and sits better on y0our shoulder.

The Leica is not delicate equipment, unless you want to preserve it in its pristine, new from the box state.

If the latter, the answer might be an everready case, perhaps a custom one from Luigi Crescenzi at www.leicatime.com. The Leica cases are simply too bulky.

Ah... that doesn't seem to have worked!

Anyway, it's a good bag - easy to gain access to the camera yet

weatherproof and well padded.

Don't worry too much about the camera getting knocked about though,

they can take it. Built like tanks.

Check the Billingham Hadley Pro or Hadley Large. If you like the style, they are well made and offer excellent protection.

Buing in London: check www.billingham.co.uk for dealers, or simlpy order from Robert White (www.robertwhite.co.uk). If they have it in stock they should be able to deliver within 1-2 days.

I like my Courierware stealth bag a lot--I've been using soft bags for 30 years and it's one of the best yet--and the Crumpler is similar, but maybe even nicer. The Courierware padded liner is pretty heavy, and I take it out when I can, but that still leaves a padded floor. I was in a Tumi store yesterday, and they have a nice camera bag that's similar to the Crumpler, but flashier.

I have owned several bags that I like. The original Domke Bag was purchased 20+ years ago and is my "big" bag. For a single M camera ( sometimes w/winder) and 3-4 lenses , SF 20 Flash, film and spare batteries, I use a Tough Traveler bag (on their website bag #0F11 looks like mine) that I purchased back in the early '80's. It is nothing fancy: small and perfect for its intended purpose. You can find Tough Traveller here: http://www.toughtraveler.com/camera.html

I recommend this bag because it has protected my equipment through the elements for so many years.

forget the original leica bag. it came as a freebee with my m-outfit and i sold it a week later. it is very stiff and only allows to pack your stuff in one way. it wastes a lot of space and besides the basic kit you cannot take anything else. after having used many bags i come to the conclusion, that the domkes fit my needs best. they look a bit overpriced, but after a while you realise how great they are. it is difficult to obtain them in london. jessops can order them for you, but i would call around who has them in stock, because it is always advisable to 'fit them on'. i bought mine on a trip to NY.

Obviously, it depends on what you're bringing along.

I use a Billingham Hadly most the time. It will easily fit two M bodys, both with lenses on them - three additional lenses - and the assorted support flotsam needed (filters, film, lens cleaning cloth...). It carries well cross shoulder and breaks in to be very nice and soft. Well padded and fairly storm proof.

/r

My favorite is still the Lowepro "Orion Mini". Belt bag or waist bag. Perfect size (for me) for just my M6TTL incl half-case and strap, and 3 lenses with all hoods and VFs. Good zipper and its direction of opening, good padding, very waterproof. Not too expensive and I think you can get it anywhere.

Mr. Unknown,

There are at least two reasons not to answer your question.

1. It is extreamly impolite to use Name Unknown. If you want to remain anonymous just pick a fake name, which would just be slightly impolite.

2. This question has been asked many times - search the archives. Your laziness makes #1 more so.

Sheesh!

Just a quick thank you to all the respondents (except the last one) for their courteous, informative and useful recommendations. Your help is much appreciated.

I suppose the one area where my query was hoping to probe was: Leica bags. Even in the archive, there doesn't seem to be much extensive visual and technical information about these products, but the views of the forum on them seem to be overwhelmingly tepid, even cool.

It is a shame that there is always one busybody willing to show an inherently gratuitously dark side to (their) human nature by bringing ugliness and aggression to a straightforward query about camera bags!

I notice that you are looking for a bag in London. Classic Cameras in Old Bull Yard http://www.theclassiccamera.com/ import an excellent range of leather camera bags from Marinari in France. Many of these have the advantage that they do not look like camera bags at all.

I have two of these bags for my M6 outfit and have found them excellent especially for travel

Dear Tony,

I have received an unsolicited, test message direc tto my e-mail from Allison Reese. I do not know this woman and do not wish to hear from her direct (or on the board for that matter). Can you do anything?

Thanks,

PD