What kind of light equipment? Vu-Pro?

margo_k

<p>I do outdoor portrait photography and really enjoy it, however I'be been thinking about investing in some lighting equipment to use occasionally indoors.  I'm not real sure where to start in deciding on equipment.  I have taken a few classes and White Lightening was recommended (or Alien B's).  I also found a starter kit for Vu-Pro.  The link is below.  I would appreciate any help regarding these two brands or recommendations.<br>

This is one kit I was looking at.<br>

<a href="http://cart.owens-originals.com/VU-PRO-V-100-1200-WATT-MINI-BOOM-KIT-p/v100m.htm">http://cart.owens-originals.com/VU-PRO-V-100-1200-WATT-MINI-BOOM-KIT-p/v100m.htm</a></p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>We have a Lighting Forum on PN, probably the best place for questions about lighting...<br>

I had a look at your link and my advice is to forget it. This is a continuous light, not flash. It will be uncomfortably hot, nowhere near powerful enough and impossible to adjust for power.<br>

There are other disadvantages too, but the ones I've mentioned are enough.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>NO NO NO NO NO don't buy that set. What crap!<br /><br />They are mixing tungsten and flourescent lamps - two different color temperatures. Plus two lights are 500 watts and one 50 watts. Yuk!<br /><br />If you follow Emily's advice I will personally come over to your place and give you a Dope Slap!<br /><br />"Oh? Why?" you ask. I'm glad you asked.<br /><br />That is because Emily has an unbalanced set of lights. Both can use a 150 watt modeling light but when set to full power they will "Look" equal but one puts out TWICE as much light. This has got to be one of the dumbest pieces of advice I've seen this week.<br /><br />I also own Alien Bees and tell everyone I know to buy them. But they all are *matched* units (800WS).<br /><br />Terry Thomas...<br />the photographer<br />Atlanta, Georgia USA</p>