Your opinions on my choices (sequel) please :)

will_akandou

<p>This post is the sequel of the one i posted yesterday about "what you think about the choice i made. :D<br>

http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00Rk2X</p>

<p>I come with new questions :)<br>

Imagining i don't go for the 40d or 50d but buy 2x5D (mark2 is two expensive) (you make me hesitate)</p>

<p>1) What do you think about this first lenses choice (that fit my budget)?<br>

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM<br>

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM</p>

<p>2) i need something around 28-35mm (only prime)<br>

I thought about the Canon EF 28mm USM f/1.8 .... would like the 35mm L but it's very expensive. Do you know this lens? does it give good resuts? if i open it @ 2.8 knowing it's not a L lense and not as popular as other canon non-L lenses (like the 50mm f/1.4) will it give me better results than taking a zoom @2.8 (just for the comparison)<br>

3) Do i need something wider like a 20mm?<br>

4) Knowing i'll have the 85mm, will the 105mm be usefull for wedding photography or can i sacrify it?<br>

5) is a 135mm usefull for wedding photography?<br>

6) will i need something longer than a 135mm ... like 200mm, for wedding photography? or a 135mm is long enough to cover the candid/disntant shot i could make?</p>

<p>This gear will be only dedicated to weddings.</p>

<p>Thanks again :D</p>

<p>I am a little confused by you and how to respond to your ongoing questions. You ask questions like you don't know what you need and are new to it all. On the flip side, your responses to other peoples feedback make it sound more like you know what you need (ie: zooms, primes, etc... but you don't even know what mm you need.)<br>

Maybe it would help to let people know where you are coming from...<br>

1) they are good<br>

2) never tried the lens<br>

3) depends on your style, I absolutely need a wide lens<br>

4) depends on your style and how often you want to switch lenses to get that extra 20mm<br>

5) sure it is, but again, depends on your style<br>

6) yes, but again, depends on your style<br>

I use lenses from 10-200mm on crop bodies and 20-200mm on full frame. For full frame I use: 20mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 24-70 2.8, and 70-200 2.8 IS USM is all I need. For someone that is asking the questions like someone who isn't experienced I would highly reccomend zooms. I like them because I don't have to switch lenses as much.</p>

<p>I think you need to do your own research - go rent the lens and check them out - read review from B&H - you can purchase a 5D full frame and it won't break your pocket book.<br>

While I don't know you - you sound like someone who has read too much and not had enough experience. You need to go out and shoot.<br>

Every photog on here has something different in their bag and they can tell you why it is the best for them... you need to find out what's best for you and the only way you do that is by buying/renting and using...</p>

<p>Mickael, it would be really helpful to know your level of experience as a photographer. Then the answers can be geared in a better way to serve you.<br>

Are you new to photography or just weddings? Are you new to digital photography or have you ever shot film? If you have done any weddings, how many? If not, have you or are you planning to assist an experienced pro in weddings before you go out on your own?<br>

What if any, gear have you tried so far or used in the past?<br>

Are you comfortable with using flash? Do you completely understand how to read a histogram and how to balance flash with ambiant light?<br>

The reason I am asking is that if you do have all of that knowledge it will be easier to recommend the appropriate gear. Anyone can buy anything but what will it do for them?<br>

Lou</p>

<p>Again, not dismissing Bob's seemingly passionate and sincere attempt to guide one, but solely to the "Gear" questions:</p>

<p>1. Both are good lenses. I like both of them on my 5D, the 50F1.4 is almost a permanent fixture (but not at a Wedding). If I were limited to two (normal / tele) Prime Lenses for 5D's, for wedding work, I would choose a larger gap - 50mm and 135mm, or 50mm and 100mm.<br>

Most likely for a minimalist approach with most flexibility for money spent, I would choose the 50mmF1.4 and the EF100F2.8Macro.</p>

<p>2. I would not use the EF28F1.8 on my 5D. I do use the EF35F2 on my 5D, at F2.8 is is very, very acceptable. There are many threads discussing the pros and cons of both these lenses.</p>

<p>3. I have a few Weddings under my belt, and I do not like moving wider than about 28mm, 24mm is about my limit, (135 Format - Full Frame FoV) for very many Wedding shots - I am particular about distortion and its direct relationship to sales. Your needs might be different: there are many who are exceptionally talented at the wide, I am conservative in this regard, at Weddings.</p>

<p>4. I think I have answered that in 2 above.</p>

<p>5. The EF135F2L is an exceptional lens. On a 5D (or similar) is is beyond exceptional, for some it is the ideal portrait lens on a FF camera - I am one of those some. </p>

<p>6. How you perceive the shot and how I perceive the shot will be different - I tend to work close and tight, if you want distance, then, yes the EF200F2.8 is a nice lens, and likely you could (for budget's sake) afford to ditch the EF135F2L and jump to a 200mm - but likely if your desire is to shot 3rd Eye View, or slightly removed from the action, the EF70 to 200F2.8L would be a more flexible and sensible choice. In either case, I would not buy a 200mm lens to cover "the back of the Church shot".</p>

<p>WW </p>