Simple bag for large DSLR + lens

steve_muntz

<p>Imelda had shoes, I've had bags...  I'm looking for a simple padded bag with a main compartment that will hold my D200 + battery grip + small lens, up to 18-200 attached.  This works out to 6" x 6" x 7" deep (or about 16 x 16 x 18cm).  Doesn't matter if it's a shoulder bag, holster or any other configuration.  An additional small pocket or two would be nice but I'd rather keep the overall size down.  Also doesn't matter if it's waterproof or not, or has any other features.  This bag will go inside a daypack, and I have padded bags for my other gear.  It may occasionally be used by itself too.<br>

I didn't think this would be a tough thing to find but apparently it is!  I've tried LowePro, Tenba, Tamrac and Think Tank, as well as B&H.  Any suggestions for a specific bag?  There has to be someone else who's tried to carry a D200, grip and lens...</p>

<p>I carry a very similar kit in a Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40. Inside it carries my D300 with MBD attached and an 18-200 lens. If I decide to carry a longer lens, the lens portion of the holster unzips to allow the longer lens. There is a zip pocket on the inside flap, and a  zip pocket on the side of the holster. You can wear it on a belt, it also comes with a shoulder strap to be carried over the shoulder. Yes, I like the combination!</p>

<p>I'm in a similar situation. I would like to achieve basically the same setup (small padded bag to hold the camera and lens, and then put it inside a day pack) but I'm also trying to keep it cheap, I don't wanna pay an arm and a leg to get it. I'll do some looking around for your sake and my own. I'll keep you posted. :-)<br>

Chris.</p>

<p>Kata Bags makes 2 Torso packs that might fit what your looking for.... Here's a link to the smaller one:<br>

http://www.vistek.ca/store/BagsCases/218257/kata-bags-t212-gdc-torso-pack-212.aspx<br>

Have you thought about the Lowepro Topload line? I think that would be a very good contender for your needs. That's all I could find for now, I don't have a lot of time to look today. Hope it helps. :-)<br>

Chris.</p>

<p>Thanks - I have a Lowe TLZ2 which has had a lot of use over the years but won't fit the D200 + battery grip.  It actually will just barely fit an F5 with 80-200 f2.8...  Since their website and others list pro DSLR's and bodies with battery grips for some bags but not many of these type, I figured there was a reason it wouldn't work.  I'll try to find the LowePro Top Loader 65AW first, but will check the others out too.</p>

<p>I use Canon 30D with battery grip, flash, and large zoom (the equivalent to your Nikon rig) and have the same problem. How to load this "kit" into a protective bag without extensively disassembling it. All my Domke, Lowepro, Tamrac, and off-brand bags, and I have a lot of them -- don't do the job. But being a thriftstore junkie of the first magnitude, I keep my eyes open for bags of all sorts that can do the job... and I've found one that comes close to being just right (an 8 out of 10)... Since I don't think you can post photos on this site, I'll discribe it this way:<br>

It is an olive-drab nylon grip tote by Duluth Trading with both grab handles and a seperate shoulder strap in black with shoulder grip pad. The bag has no top closure and one compartment inside. I put a 1-in. thick foam pad on the floor. It's side walls are padded like a camera bag, but it apparently isn't. It looks like the tote you would use to carry picnic supplies or beach wear. It also has mesh side and end compartments -- totally unpadded. It is not perfect, but I can place the full rig into it and carry it away safely. It's color sure looks like a pro camera bag. Now only if Duluth Trading made an interior compartment or padded the mesh outside compartments and sold it for $40... it'd be a winner. I paid $4 for it. I wonder if you Googled Duluth Trading... ???</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>I'm in the similar, but not same boat. I am looking for something for my Nikon D2Hs with a smallish zoom, but I would like to carry it on its own (i.e., not put the camera bag in another bag). I don't need instant access to the camera, would like the pack to be as small as possible, and would like it to be out of the way while walking around. It seems that backpacks / slings would be the best bet (not too keen on hanging this thing on a belt), but the ones that can handle the large camera all seem to be sized to accommodate multiple lenses, flashes, and extra gear.</p>