D90 with twin kit lenses + one more?

seanbreadsell

<p>Hi, I am the proud owner of a beautiful new baby Nikon D90 with 18-55mm + 55-200mm VR twin lense kit. I moved over to Nikon and recently had an Olympus E-510 so I am not 100% sure on the best lenses for my D90 as yet.<br>

I am very happy with these lenses and aren't looking to replace them, although I guess if I had the chance again I would have taken the 18-200mm lense...but I didn't so not to worry.<br>

I want to get a good lense for portraits half body and some full body shots, I want nice crisp sharp photos. I do realise a lot of this is in the lighting etc.<br>

I also want to stick with Nikon lenses and have come up with these as my top 4 lenses to chose from, trying to keep the price under $800 (Aus)<br>

$175 for Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D<br>

$445 for Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4D<br>

$579 for Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.8D<br>

$799 for Nikkor AF Zoom 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF<br>

Firstly, I could say ok the most expensive would be the best but you guys are the experts soany advice would be nice.<br>

Sometimes when I walk into one of our limited camera shops here in Perth the guys tell you anything to get a sale, so if I go in there full of knowledge first then maybe that will help.</p>

<p>Congratulations!<br>

I would recomend that you wait until your "baby" grows up... :)<br>

I mean, wait until you find a real limitation on your gear before buying an additional lens, that way your needs and budget will help you to decide whats best for you. <br>

cheers,</p>

<p>L.</p>

<p>Congratulations! Welcome, Now you've been taken to the dark side! So soon and you already are developing NAS!<br>

I think you should listen to Luis' advice. Still, if you want anything for Xmas the 50 f/1.8 is a no brainer. By the way, where do you live? 175 USD for a 50 f/1.8 is the Japanese price. In the US you get it for 110 USD, so they say!<br>

And if you still want to expend some more bread I would go for the 85 f/1.8.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>While my immediate reaction is to say get the 50/1.8 (since it's such a great little lens for the money), you should use your new zooms to get a sense for what focal length(s) are talking to you the most. Take note of how far you need to get from your subjects to get what you're looking for... using the D90's sensor, a 50mm lens means getting 4 or 5 meters from a person in order to capture them full-length. Even farther using the 85, obviously. But since you've got zooms that cover those ranges, you can quickly get a sense for what you like and how it applies to your shooting style.<br /><br />Have fun!</p>

<p>You have lots of glass now. I suggest you learn about what you have. Use it and see if there is anything you can not do. A good flash or good tripod could open up more oportunities. The 50mm f1.8 is a great value if you need a short tele but if you don't than its not money well spent.</p>

<p>I have done pleanty of portraits with my 55/200 VR. It has decent optics. If you wish to take pics in less light, that are not just head and shoulders, then the 50 is good. Mine cost me $50 mint used.</p>

<p>For a 50 1.4, the new one at $400+ is the way to go. For something longer, the not yet announced 85 mm AFS is the one. No I don`t have an inside track, but I see it happening. I would not invest in any screw drive lenses unless you found them cheap.</p>

<p>Wait and get some experience. I definately would not get another consumer zoom that covers the same or similar range as what you have.</p>

<p> </p>

--I'd get the 50mm 1.8 ($109.95 at B&H) and a flash.

--I'd recommend the SB600 for $172 (at B&H)

--Also get a sto-fen flash diffuser for about $17 to use on your new flash.

These two additions to your lineup will allow you to take pictures in any kind of light. The 50mm 1.8 is a great, inexpensive little lens that will allow you to take pics in low lighting with out a flash. You'll find that still isn't enough...and you'll find that your on board camera flash does not yield good results. You can activate that sb-600 wirelessly with your D90 as well.

If you've got more cash you want to spend, make sure you have a good tripod.

<p>Thankyou all very much for your responses, I greatly appreciate them. Just to clear soemthing up the costs I quoted were in Australian dollars and as anybody form Australia on these boars will know EVERYTHING is more expensive over here....even the Monaro haha<br>

I looked at those portraits from the Sigma, very nice indeed actually so thanks for the suggestion.<br>

I think for now I have decided on the Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D for $175 Aussie dollars, at that price it won't really mad a dent in my wallet, and I will get a decent flash. I already bought a Tripod, I have an Slik 500DX.<br>

If I dont spend too much for now, and learn my glass like some of you suggested then in the uture could buy more expensive glass.</p>

<p>Sean - in Sydney now but grew up in Perth. Email me and I'll send you the link to a great Brisbane mail-order store which will save you a few $$ and give you heaps to browse.<br>

In terms of lenses, especially as you are new, it would be the 50/1.8 that I would add. Great lens for not much money. I have the 1.4, but would have been equally happy with the 1.8. The other one I would consider is the 35/2 as it is fast, high quality and a 'standard' lens on DX - a very useful focal length for a D90.<br>

Of all the ones you list the one I'd be least likely to want is the most expensive one! To make some difference from your two zoom lenses you want a third lens that is small and fast (low f/ number) - that is if you decide to go a third lens at all.<br>

Do you have a good flash and a tripod? These may make more difference to your shooting than another lens.</p>