What difference will I see from a Nikon SB600 to a SB900?

tricia_moskal

<p>What sort of shooting do you do, with which camera and which lens(es)?<br /> <br /> The SB-900 is quite a bit more sophisticated and somewhat more powerful. The extra power is only really going to help out if you routinely find yourself using the SB-600 at full power, and find it too slow to cycle.<br /> <br /> The real issue is the extra range of features and behaviors on the bigger (much bigger, physically!) new speedlight. If you like to use the strobe as a slave, mixed in with other strobes... or you want to use it as a controller, with your SB-600 acting as a slave off camera, then the 900 might be the way to go... but you can do most of what it does with an SB-800, for less size and cost.<br /> <br /> The real issue is getting a sense of how you use (or will use) a fancier speedlight. Do tell!</p>

<p>Faster recycling. Easier to work controls. About 20% more power. (but you'll probably never notice that in actual shooting). Overheating protection (when you're really shooting hard, the SB-900 will detect high temperatures and shut down, the SB-800 and SB-600 will simply burn out, but I've not managed to do that to 5 SB-800 in 4 years or so).</p>

<p>The big question is "what do you shoot?"</p>

<p>Personally, I'd say the thing isn't necessarily to "upgrade" your flash, as to get more flashes. Hold on to that SB-600, it's a good slave flash. Do you have a camera with a built in flash that can control multiple slave flashes (D90, D200, D300, D700)? If so, then the biggest "upgrade" you could make is a second SB-600. If you're shooting D70, D80, D2X, D2H, or D3, then look at SB-800 or SB-900. They can control the SB-600 remotely. They're more effective if you connect them to the camera with a remote cord like SC-17, SC-28, or SC-29.</p>

<p>I have a studio with three storbes. I don't think I will ever need it for that. I can control them fairly well, and minipulate the light to what I want.<br>

But event stuff, kicks my butt. I just can't get the lighting I see in other images. I always seem underexposed.<br>

But for on location and wedding photography, my SB600 doesn't seem to cut it. TTL seems so weak, I always boost it. I am hoping that with more power I get better lighting results. <br>

I shoot a Nikon D700, and have a 70-200 2.8, as well as prime lenses, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, and 28mm 1.8 (or is it 2.8?) I am looking at getting another zoom too.</p>

<p>The 900 gives you a lot more ability to modify the light. Bigger zoom range, adjustable scene coverage, and the ability to add filters easily.<br>

You are probably already here, but maybe you can shoot at higher ISO, especially with the D700. I find that when I get much of any distance - I need higher ISO's to get the full benefit of the flash.<br>

What mode are you shooting location stuff in? I find that I get a lot better results with manual settings on the camera, and leave the flash set for TTL. I assume you are getting the flash off the camera - that has to be the simplest thing I have seen to improve the quality of flash photos.</p>

<p>If you can correct it by exposure compensation - it seems like it should have enough power. I almost never use my 600, especially as a primary unit, but maybe the output isn't quite as reliableas the higher end units? If you want to read a good rundown on the SB900 check out www.daveblackphotography.com/workshop The November article might give you some insight.</p>