Which lens to chose and why?

imrsalas

<p>I am looking into getting some family portrait pictures done in a home stodio using a vivitar flash mounted on a stand with a shot through umbrella. I wanted to know if anyone can give me their recommendations on which of these 3 lenses would be best for my needs:<br>

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM<br>

Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF<br>

Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF<br>

Currently I use a Nikon D60.<br>

I know that both Nikons will not auto focus on my D60 while the Sigma will and I know that being a Nikon forum, I will get more people telling me that either Nikons are the better buy. I would like to see what the critics have to say about these lenses.</p>

<p>I have no experence with Sigma 30mm . I use Nikkor 1.8 and that is a sharp lens. Since this is a planned session Manuael focus should be OK. This will give you approximately eqivalent of 75mm and that is not long enough for a portrait. Look at 60 of 85mm lens Or 24-85mm Nikkor zoom that is not very expensive and should be autofocus on D60 it is slow 3.5 t0 4.5 vs 1.8 of 50mm.</p>

<p>of the 3 listed my choice would be the 50mm f1.8 as the length will give reasonable head and sholders without being in the subjects face also the 1.8 has more depth of focus wide open and will be easer to focus. Also you will probley be useing the lens at about f2.0-f2.8 the IQ would be about the same with the F1.4 and you save about $250<br>

Ian R</p>

<p>I would think that 30mm would be kind of wide for portrait work. But, I would hate to have to manual focus everything. You should certainly be able to find something in the 50-85 range that will autofocus, and not cost you a fortune.</p>

<p>Are you doing individual portraits only or couples and groups as well?</p>

<p>In a studio situation I'd rather use manual focus.  You are going to be using limited depth of field and you want to be absolutely sure that what you want in focus, is in focus.    Whatever AF point you are using there is always a chance it is not stiking your subject where you think it is. </p>

<p>I would choose the lens by its focal length not by whether it autofocuses or not, in this situation.  </p>

<p>Two things:<br /> <br /> 1) Group shots? Full-length shots of people? Head shots? For example... a full length shot of a typical person using a 50mm lens on a D60 means standing back about 15 feet (and don't forget to add whatever space you want between your subject and the background). It's more like 8 feet back, instead, when shooting with a 30mm. Needless to say, a group of people is challenging in a smaller room with what amounts to a short telephoto lens (which is the 50, on that body).<br /> <br /> 2) What else do you shoot? Will the lens you choose ever go out for a walk, shoot events in other settings, etc? While the deliberate pace of studio portrait shooting may lend itself to manual focusing, the AF on the 30/1.4 is nice and fast, and will work on your camera out when you're doing other things.<br /> <br /> That said, 30mm isn't traditionally thought of as the most flattering portrait focal length - though it can be very, very workable. Think mostly about the space you'll be working in. That 30/1.4 makes for a bright viewfinder, and has lovely bokeh. And it works painlessly on your camera. Oh, and don't forget that you can let the AF work, and still grab the focus ring to tweak the focus point, no fuss.</p>

<p>of the 3 listed my choice would be the 50mm f1.8 as the length will give reasonable head and sholders without being in the subjects face also the 1.8 has more depth of focus wide open and will be easer to focus. Also you will probley be useing the lens at about f2.0-f2.8 the IQ would be about the same with the F1.4 and you save about $250<br>

Ian R</p>

<p>There will be for sale soon the new 50/1.4 AFS, don`t know if buying an "older" AFD version is good for you. The

new AFS auto focuses on your camera, that is a very useful issue. If you`re decided to buy a 50mm lens right now, I

would buy the cheapest 50/1.8AF or AFD.<br>

About the Sigma, what Matt says. I`m not owner of this lens, but the focal lenght and AFS makes me think that

could be my own choice.</p>

<p>Usually when shooting studio portraits with flash you are going to shoot at f/8 or similar small aperture. It doesn't really matter which lens you use (within reason) as most are decent at that aperture. You probably have a kit lens and that is going to be fine for this application.<br>

It's not the lens that matters in itself, it's the perspective. If you stand too close facial features and body features may be distorted from the perspective. The focal length of the lens is nothing but magnification. To avoid this you want to be 10ft/3m or so away from your subject. Further away is not a problem regarding this but can be if there is not enough room.<br>

As mentioned earlier depending on what you want to photograph (full length, halv body, heads & shoulders) you need different focal lengths. As a starting point, on a crop camera 24-35mm is good for full length, 50mm for half length and 70-85mm for heads & shoulders. You can use longer focal lengths if you like but you need more room to move back.<br>

Good luck!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I agree you don't really need a prime.   The kit lens is fine as long as you can get enough light from your strobes, which isn't a problem indoors.  </p>

<p>In any case I'd get the new Nikon 50 1.4 af-s.  It will auto focus on your D60, and it's long enough for head shots on DX.  The sigma 30mm 1.4 is too wide for head shots in general, I think.</p>

<p> i have both the 30/1.4 and 50/1.8, and definitely use the 30 more. however, the 50 is a great portrait lens.<br>

like matt said, if you're doing group shots, the 30 will work fine, but it's generally not considered a 'portrait lens.'<br>

if you're talking individual portraits, just get the 50/1.8. you dont need AF if you are carefully composing your shot, and there's very little advantage to the extra aperture for the situation you describe. why spend money when you dont have to?<br>

keep in mind that outside of the family portrait, the sigma 30's focal length will be more useful than the 50, which is a bit too long on DX for the indoors/low-light stuff it's ideally suited for on film and FX.</p>

<p>Te everyone that has given me advise...I thank you so much for all. I guess I really have to make a decision as to how I want to make use of the lens and if this is only to be used indoors or outdoors as well...I am sorry I havent been able to read through all the responses.</p>

<p>I am also searching a lens for my camera. I have got Nikon D80, and now I have got only the kit lens (13-135, f 3.5-5.6)... I am a middle beiginner prhotographer, and my budget not so big. I prefer to buy a lens with better "light optinios".<br>

I would like to ask your opinion. .. now i am still searching nikor objektive.<br>

and is it better if I am thinkink in the DX type lens or with D80 I can use normal lens as well.<br>

Which is the better? Who has already used manula lens wth D80, what theirs opinion.<br>

Thanks your answers.</p>