20d v. 50d

onlooker

I used a 20D for a couple years and now have a 50D. If you have reasonable post-processing skills and understand

when to override auto exposure, there isn't much diff in prints up to 8x12. However the 50D does have real advantages

for larger prints, say 12x18.

The biggest advantages of the 50D are in AF and ambient/flash metering. With the 20D I had a lot of AF misses in low

light, especially with the outer AF points. The 50D nails it most of the time. Also 50D metering, both flash and ambient,

is more reliable. With the 20D I had to ride FEC (+2/3 FEC) most of the time. With the 50D I rarely need to touch the

QCD.

Finally, RAW 50D images need far less post-processing. I can't speak for ACR, but in DPP they rarely need more than

minor tweaks before converting. The 20D RAW files need a lot of help. I used to spend 4 or 5 times more mouse clicks

on those suckers.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I have two 20Ds, is that as good as one 40D?

Actually, I'm thinking it's about time to think about an upgrade. I've been served well by the 20Ds, and I rarely print huge prints, but there are incremental improvements like the larger viewfinder, changeable focus screens, and other improvements, quite aside from pixel counts, that make the upgrade desireable, though not crucial.

<p>In the foreseeable future I see myself in your situation, Larry, when my battered 20D finally dies and I need to get an replacement. While nothing is certain for now, I will definitively give Pentax' flagship <abbr style="border-bottom: 1px blue dashed;" title="digital single-lens reflex camera">dSLR</abbr> a try. I know that I have to sell all my nice Canon lenses (which I bought used anyway), but after having had the chance to play around with a K10D for a week in summer, I don't want to have another camera without anti-shake/image stabilization. For a prime lens shooter like me is it pure bliss and opens up a whole new world of available light photography.</p>