Overlapping Frames on 500C

g_t3

<p>Hi All,<br>

Thanks to QG and photo.net users, I've got the manual for the 500C and found that the meter knob is giving me pretty good reading comparing to my Minolta IV handheld meter.   I tested one roll of B&W film and has just finished developing them.   Looking at the film, the exposure seems ok.   However, I was at first worry about the tensioned shutter, I noticed that I did not have to wind the first frame to get a shot.   So I think the shutter was tensioned for years before the previous owner sold it to me on ebay.     Is this common practice to leave the shutter tensioned until the next roll is loaded?<br>

Anyway,  to my dismay, frames 3 and 4,  5 and 6 were overlapped, and frames 7, 8 and 9 were also overlapped.    The overlapping area is about 0.5cm between the frames.  And the spacing between 4 and 5, and 6 and 7 is bigger than normal.<br>

I loaded the film with the manual next to me and I *think* I had done the loading correctly.   The winder on the magazine and the knob seems to work pretty smoothly.   Can someone give me a clue as to what is wrong?   I will try to shoot another roll later to see if there is similar problem...</p>

<p>Thanks in advaced!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It's not uncommon for backs to overlap frames after they have been used awhile.</p>

<p>Time for a CLA for the back. No need to worry it's easily fixed by a qualified repair tech snd...whenever buying from eBay you need to figure in the cost of a CLA.</p>

Did you put the film UNDER the little tab that clamps it to the backing plate when you put the insert into the back? If not, it adds a lot of tension to the film, which can cause overlaps. Also, did you remove all the slack in the takeup spool in loading?

Chances are the back (and possibly the camera) needs a CLA, but these are easy things to check.

<p>Hi Edward,<br>

Yeah, I noticed the metal tab while I was loading the film and made sure that the paper backing was underneath it.. however, since this is the first time loading film into a Hasselblad (I've been using other cameras such as Bronica SQA, Pentax 67 and Yashica 124G), I may have left too much slack.  I did try to "tighten" up the film using the spool clip in the take up spool.<br>

Thanks for the advices  -- being in China right now is not easy to get a CLA.  Will have to bring the camera back the next time while I go home to the US and send to David Odess.</p>

• 1 month later...