What size prints from 120 film in twin lens reflex camera?

richard_wilkins

I must be missing something. I was looking at a twin lens reflex

camera today and was told the image size was 2.25"x 2.25".

All I've seen here are references to 6x4.5 and 6x6 and 6x7 images...

So, what size print will I get from a twin lens reflex camera using

120 film? Will it be 2.25" x 2.25"?

~RSW

There are other negative sizes used in 120/620 roll sizes .They all have the 6 cm width. My old 1947 vigilant 620 shoots 8 exposures that are 2 1/4 by 3 1/4 inches; roughly a 6x9 cm size...The 6x7 format is from the RD67 cameras and others; it ratios up into 8x10...With my Vigilant ; one cm is wasted on each side for an 8x10 ; this over the 8 frames equals about 16 cm; this extra film allows the newer 6x7 format to get a frame or two extra out of a 120 roll.....The 6x4.5 cm format allows usually 16 exposures per 120 roll; these ratio up into 8x10 nicely...As I type this message I am scanning a roll film color negative that is 2 3/4 by 4.5 inches.. This is 7 by 11.4 cm ...The negative is from 1945...

And just so you don't get further confused, Richard, "6cm x 6cm" is a nominal designation and will actually measure 56mm x 56mm or so, or a bit less than 2-1/4 x 2-1/4.

The same holds true for 6x7 (typically 56mm x 67mm), 6x9 (56mm x 82mm) and most of the other formats that use 120 rollfilm.

One more tidbit of info, Richard...

After your film is processed you'll discover that the frame numbers seldom align correctly for the 6x6cm format. Most film manufacturers have defaulted to a frame numbering system that favors the 645 format (6cm x 4.5cm).

So when you order prints you'll have the fun task of specifying "please print frame 8a-9" or something similar, which will correspond to something like photo #4 on your actual roll, depending on the spacing of your camera (rollfilm cameras tend to be a bit loosey-goosey in spacing between frames, compared with 35mm).

Fun, huh? The labs are used to it by now tho'.