Which 50mm lens

michel_leclerc

Hi,

i'm looking to get a new lens in the 50mm to 60mm range. I've an old 50 f/1.8 AF (non D). I was looking at the VC 58mm f/1.4 Nokton,

Micro 60mm f/2.8 and then the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AFS was announced.

I'm looking for a lens than i'll use to do portraits with a D300 so it will be close to a 85mm. I have also a Micro 105 f/2.8 AFS so i'm less

interested in the 60mm.

So, will the Nikon 50 AFS will out perform the VC 58mm apart from being AF, Bokeh, sharpness...

Thanks!

Not exactly an answer to your original question, but have you considered the new Sigma 50/1.4? That's one hell of a lens, albeit not cheap and a tad big.

<p>

See images taken with it <a href="http://blog.andreas-manessinger.info/search/label/Sigma%2050%2F1.4">on my blog</a>

<p>

<a href="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews/Sigma-50mm-f-1.4-EX-DG-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx">This review</a> reports inconsistent AF

accuracy on a Canon 50D, but I have no problem at all on my Nikon D300. Otoh, there were many reports of AF problems with the earliest samples on

Canon cameras. Note that this lens was released for Canon first.

For portraits the 55mm Micro-Nikkor (either f2.8 or f3.5, they are both exceptional) lens is best. The reason is, normally you want to use an 85mm or 105mm for portraits, because if you want to do a headshot or a head and shoulders portrait, shorter lenses, like the 50mm, tend to elongate the nose which is not a flattering look for anyone! The 55mm Micro-Nikkor is flat-field so it doesn't do that as much as a standard 50mm will. Also it is sharp at f2.8.

Any of the alternatives you propose will give you only the most incremental performance bump over what you have now.

If you want a little more focal length, either the current 60/2.8 or the recently discontinued 60/2.8 AF-D will get you a few more millimeters, but if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, one of the 85's would fill the hole in your range and give you some fresh perspective. I know the 85/1.4 is revered, but my 85/1.8 is excellent too.