Press printed books, WHCC vs. Asuka

paul swenson

I've been doing some research on coffee table style books for my wedding and portrait clients. I'm pretty sold

on the quality and service that Asuka offers, but the long turnaround time (4 to 6 weeks) on their books is a

drawback. Then I stumbled on an ad for WHCC and saw that they also offer press printed books, for a LOT less,

and an unbelievable turnaround time of two or three days. I called today and asked them to send me some sample

pages and cover materials, but I'm curious if anyone has comparative experience with these two companies

products. I realize Asuka has more options in the style of books as well as paper finish choices, but I'm most

curious about the general print quality and book construction and how that compares. I'd appreciate any feedback

anyone has to offer.

Thanks, Paul

I have used millers press books, which are fast turnaround books similar to whcc from what I gather, and the actual page print quality is inferior to asuka. I am not sure what the technology difference is, but from what I have seen, nobody prints bette pages than asuka. If whcc turns out to be similar post a big fat message and let everyone know!

I am thinking too of sending a sample book to whcc... we;ll see!

I saw the press books of WHCC and Millers at WPPI, and I had already been using Asuka for a year before. Although I

love the Asuka page quality, the turn around time super sucks. And I have a hard time understanding why it's still that

long even though that's all they do (those kinds of books, I mean).

Millers quality is nice, and the turn around is a few days. Honestly, the clients won't notice, and for usually less, or

sometimes just a little more, I can do Millers press books (heavy cardstock pages printed and hinged for layflat) and the

clients feel like they are getting a better book. I offer Asuka books in my smaller wedding packages, but as yet haven't

had a bride not upgrade to a Millers or Graphi album. I am looking for something similar to Graphi in the States (paying

Italy is a freaking nightmare!) and I hope to find someone like Renaissance or Tuscany.

I've hear good things about Zookbinders, but they were really standoff-ish at WPPI and I don't like attitude in companies

I am paying thousands to a year.