Think Tank, Airport Airstream

bill_bayless

I have a Thinktank Airline Addicted backpack, several Lowepro bags and rollers and at least one Tamrack backpack.

Thinktank bags have excellent construction, similar to Lowepro (and are made by Lowepro expatriots). The fabric is

rugged and there is ample padding. On the whole, Thinktank bags have more room for a given footprint since they are

somewhat deeper than the comparable Lowepro bag and have a rectangular shape. Thinktank zippers are bigger and

smoother than those used by Lowepro.

The Thinktank Airstream is nearly an inch deeper than the corresponding Lowepro "Pro Roller 1" and 5 pounds

lighter. This means you have ample room for a pro-sized DSLR or Hasselblad without bulging the cover. Most lenses

under 200mm will fit vertically in the pockets. All of the Thinktank rollers will fit in a US airliner. The next size

Lowepro, the Pro Roller 2, has lots of space but is too large for an overhead compartment.

The Lowepro Pro Roller 1 has a removeable insert ($80), so you can use the bag as conventional luggage or have a

different configuration at the ready. While flexible, this is one reason it is heavier and has less space than the

Airstream.

I seldom use rollers, and prefer backpacks when I need more space or have an heavier load (>20#) than comfortable

for a shoulder bag. Rollers are great for airports or car-to-event with grade-level access, but they can't be used on

gravel and are a PITA on stairs. Europe is much stricter about carry-on weight limits. I've had to check rollers half the

time but never (yet) a backpack. They don't seem to bother about weight you have on your back.