Buying second hand R/Sl2.

astanding

Hi,

Just wanted to get some advice on buying a second hand camera. I live in Cape Town and have found a great bargain on some old leica

lenses (a 35 and 90 elmarit) and now need to stick a body behind them. I shoot mostly black and white in film and feel comfortable with the

most basic light meter system. I need a solid camera as I travel a lot and spend time in dusty/humid places. I thought in the digital age I

could pick up a great deal on old film cameras, but I'm surprised to find the price of Rs or Sl2s is actually quite high. I'm not entirely sure

what I'm after - I have owned an R6 before but was hoping I could get a decent Sl2 or maybe an R8/R9 now. So, if anyone could suggest

where I may pick up a bargain, that would be most appreciated...

Andre.

The SL is much more common than the SL2 and it's priced accordingly. There are a few newer lenses that can't be used on it (mostly fast

wide and wide zoom) but the 35mm and 90mm Elmarits work fine on the SL. Also, if TTL light metering isn't important the Leicaflex

Standard is good too and dirt cheap (by Leica standards) because it's light meter isn't TTL, and it has the bonus of a true mirror lock-up

which no other Leica reflex has (R6 and newer have a mirror pre-release). The Leicaflexes are built for a lifetime of use. If you were to get

the Leicaflex Standard, I'd look for Type 2, which has a round film counter window.

Buy an R3 for $125 and spend the rest on film. I wish I'd never sold mine. My R5 has a much noisier shutter and doesn't feel as bullet proof, but it takes Leica R lenses (like the R3) so it brings home the pics. I would also recommend going for a 50 Summicron to go w/ your other lenses. Mine is the best lens that I own.<div>00Rfuz-94263584.jpg.2dc438a9fc3f8a44e03ae3ff138b1de3.jpg</div>

Andre, I've recently taken advantage of the low prices for Leica reflex equipment to build a Leicaflex SL outfit. No regrets - the body is every bit as superb as Doug Herr and others say and the lenses "sing". Whilst I've used Leica rangefinders for some years, on the reflex front I was, for twenty five years, a Nikon user (F through to F6). The Leicaflex SL is in a class of its own if you are content with film and comfortable with a simple mechanical camera. Budget for a service - they are forty years old. The Leica Solms Service Department isn't cheap, but they do do a superb job. When they have finished with it, it'll be good for another forty years.

I would be really cautious about ever buying an R3 or R4. I've been around to most of the local pro camera stores that had an

R3 or R4 in stock, some looking mintish, some abused. Of about 10 cameras only 2 were working. The rest only had the

manual shutter speed working, which meant the electronics were shot. If you can find a perfect one still working then it might be

OK, but I would steer clear. On the other hand the SL is the best buy among the elder Leica reflex cameras. The best of the

newer ones is either the R6 or the R9, depending on what features you want.

I suggest you email or phone Ivor Cooper at Red Dot Cameras, 68 Old Street, London, EC1V 9AN. His telephone number is 020 7490 8444. He's London's Leica-only dealer and is very good. He gets SL bodies in from time to time and I'm sure he would look out for one for you. I've seen them on his website (www.reddotcameras.co.uk) at around £200 to £250.

• 1 month later...

<p>Andre, I have an SL2 that I inherited from my Dad and find it to be a wonderful, robust camera. It's built like a tank -- many say that it cost Leica more to produce than they could sell it for originally. You can't go wrong with the SL2 if you can find one that's in good shape at a decent price.<br>

<br />As Orville touches on above, be aware that the originally specified battery for the SL2 is no longer readily available. One can have the circuitry reworked to operate properly with modern batteries, or you can purchase the Wein Cell PX625 / PX13 Button Battery, 1.35 volt Zinc-Air. While it doesn't have the longest shelf-life you've ever seen, it does work fine.<br>

<br />Good luck ... let us know what you decide to do.</p>