deciding hasselblad exposure value using my D70 metering

adil_kaymaz

I have D70 and Hasselblad 500 cm

My Hasselblad came without meter prism. I like to use my Nikon D70 to get correct exposure in studio and field.

Could you give me some corresponding exposure values in these two cameras.

Is there one to one corresponding between these two camera's exposure metering.

Thank you

A shutter speed is a shutter speed and an aperture is an aperture, makes no difference the type of camera. If everything were different

between every camera type, photograhy would be totally useless chaos! An external light meter gives a shutter and aperture value, it does

not say this is for a digital, or this is for a 35mm, or this is for medium format. So sure, you can use your digital to determine exposure for

your Hasselblad. Personally, I would rather use a good, much easier to carry light meter. If you use your digital camera, judge the exposure

by the histogram, not by tryihg to see how the photo looks on the monitor, which can be very deceiving and difficult to do in bright daylight.

Plus, remember, the meter in your digital is a typical reflectance meter which is always trying to set everything to middle grey. If you are

going to use it, I would suggest using the spot meter function and making exposure compensation adjustments based on the tonal value of

the metered area.

steve

You are talking about exposure values. Your Hasselblad lens has an EV scale, but I would suggest using the aperture and shutter speed scales on top of the lens if you are getting readings from a DSLR. It is of course possible to convert shutter speed and aperture to EV but why go through that trouble when the lens converts them back to aperture and speed settings anyway?

Exposure values (EV's) represent a set of shutter speed and aperture settings which provide the same exposure.

Set your DSLR to the same ISO as the film, measure and determine any shutter speed and aperture and transfer those values to your Hasselblad. That automatically establishes the EV setting. If you move the shutter speed and aperture dials together, the EV setting stays the same (as does the actual exposure).

If you can't use the same ISO in both (many DSLR's have a low limit of ISO 100 or 200), make the necessary correction when transferring the readings to the Hasselblad.

I disagree--for slide film. Each and every DSLR is slightly different in it's exposure. That's why it drove me and others crazy when trying to use a hand held meter with our DSLRs--using a reading that would be dead-on for film cameras, yeilded either over or under exposure with the DSLRs. This has been widely written about too in photography magazines and forums. When using my hand held meter (Minolta IVF), I have to set it's ISO set to 80 in order to get a decent exposure with my Canon 10D set at ISO 100. Small difference in ISO, yes--but digital has a very narrow range in exposure--and others have to adjust their ISO much more than I have to.

But, if you're using negative film in the Hasselblad, you should be okay due to it's wide exposure latitude.

My D2x meter agrees reasonably well with my Sekonic L-508 incident meter. You have to be careful since the DSLR uses reflected light and has fuzzy logic to interpret light/dark patterns. Still, RAW images come out well exposed (according to the histogram) using my Sekonic - yet dark and with rather flat contrast. That's how DSLR's work - you usually can't compare the results from the LCD viewing screen without some post-processing.

The strategy of metering reversal (slide) film is different than for negative film. The strategy for digital is similar to reversal film, but has a much wider range in the shadow end.