EOS 3 too bulky for 16-17 yr old student?

anthony_thornborough1

If this is her first full-frame 35mm camera, even assuming some previous experience, same advice I would give anybody. Put a 50mm lens on it and leave it there for a long time. Learn how the camera and lens work and their limitations. And also learn to see what the lens sees, not what your eyes see. Once the functions of the camera become second nature, the rest is easier to learn. The over all package would be small and light. Not to mention that if USM is not critical the 1.8 can be had for less that 10 percent of the cost of the 24-70 and less than 30 percent of the 50f1.4. My $.02, fwiw I am actually a grandfather and have passed film equipment to younger siblings as well as my own children.

Dear Anthony,

I don't want to fire off a big discussion but I do wonder why you won't start her of with digital. (It might be a school/university rule or something like that. But I'd guess that current newspapers all shoot digital not in the least because of the ease of transferring images and the advantages of changable ISO.)

That said I agree with previous posters that the 24-70/2.8 might be a handfull.

Does she really need the 2.8? And if she does; is 2.8 really enough?

If she doesn't the 24-205/4 IS might be more versatile, if she does one of the faster prime suggestions above could be better.

Kind regards, Matthijs.

I'd probably be inclined to give her a Digital Rebel XSi. I'm not sure about the wisdom of "learning with film" since it's highly unlikely that any working photojournalist will be shooting a great deal of film in the future.

Yes, I know some will and some do, but the vast majority will be shooting digital and will need to know digital techniques.

The EOS-3 is a great film camera, but film as a working medium for photojournalism has certainly seen it's best days.

My EOS 3 is now sadly redundant as I use a DSLR but my daughter needs a film camera because the study module is broader than just current photography per se - and she has a Canon digital compact already.

The EOS 3 + 50 f/1.4, which I can spare, seems like the best option to me.

Thanks for your answers everyone,

Tony T

"She’s quite petite. Is this too much camera for her to handle?"

The EOS-5 can be a good choice as well. It is quite capable, but much lighter.

For either the EOS-3 or EOS-5, I would suggest adding the vertical grip with shutter release. This really improves handling. However, the EOS-3 with PB-E2 is probably too heavy for extended carry.

My daughter is the same age and under 5ft. She shoots with the XT, but has also used my EOS-3 and 5D a ton. She has never complained about the size/weight of either camera, but she really seems to prefer her 50 f1.8 over my L zooms. Both the 24-70 and the 70-200 she thinks are way too heavy to lug around for long periods of time. She used the 5D and the 70-200 for a project at school a couple years ago, along with a tripod....she was carrying a lot of stuff back and forth each day. One side note about the EOS-3....it is LOUD good luck -jeffl<div>00Reb4-93655584.jpg.c4d1b2c5495dc45418e05ac518081910.jpg</div>

Have a look at some of the first generation EOS zoom lenses. There are some quite good ones like the 28-70/3.5-4.5 II, the 35-105/3.5-4.5, and the 70-210/4. Not L lenses (the 28-70 comes fairly close), but good consumer zooms that were built better and had higher optical quality (except for the 70-210, where it was a draw) than the USM lenses that replaced them. You could get one of each plus the 50/1.8 and the latest Sigma 70-300/4-5.6 APO Macro for less than the 24-70 L. She would have a lot more flexibility with a package like this than with just the 24-70 or with the 50 or with the pair together.

The EOS 3, sans PB-E2, and a small prime is a petite and light package compared to a typical pro camera. Add the 24-70

2.8 and it's gettin' kinda heavy. A 35 2.0 or small zoom (24-85 USM) would prove an easier package to grip.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter