Can you guys help me out with the color profile process? I read up on it but there are a couple questions I have that are unanswered. So,

walking threw the process let me know if I am doing this correctly. I have placed the ICC files in my "profiles" folder. I open photoshop,

open image, choose view/proof set up/custom. In dialog box I select icc I want to apply but here is where I get confused. What di I do with

the boxes "preserve RGB numbers", "black point compensation", "simulate paper color", and "simulate black ink"? What do these do and

which ones do I need to pay attention to? Once I apply these settings I adjust the color and contrast till the image looks good.

Now, when I save I have another question. In the save dialog box there is a check box for "embed color profile Adobe RGS 1998". Do I

check this? If not, is the image going to be saved with the color profile settings I applied to it earlier? I am saving it as a TIFF and i use a

MAC if that is important. I appreciate the help.

Thanks

<p>For basic on-screen proofing -- <br/>

Preserve RGB numbers: Off. This is a useful option only in specific circumstances.<br/>

Black Point Compensation: On.<br/>

Simulate Paper Color: Off.<br/>

Simulate Black Ink: Off.<br/>

</p>

<p>

Where you go from there, including whether or not to embed the profile, depends on how you're printing. Generally yes,

you want to embed the profile. How are you printing?

</p>

<p>

Black Point Compensation compensates for black point differences between devices, so your blacks remain blacks

instead of turning into greys. If BPC is used during proofing (which it should be), it needs to be used during printing

(which it should be).

</p>

<p>

Simulate Paper Color and Simulate Black Ink do a (horrible) job of attempting to simulate the color of the paper and

maximum black recorded in the ICC profile. Adobe goes a little wild here overestimating the amount of contrast and

density loss. They're most useful in a full-screen view where you don't have any external white reference on-screen.

Again, how useful they're going to be depends on how you're printing. Inkjet or C-print typically not so much. Play around

with them, see if you find them useful.</p>