E-3 and HLD-4, early loss of power. . .

charedan

Here I have no real statistics on this but it seems to me that using 2 freshly charged batteries in the HLD-4 on the E-3 will hardly get me more

photographs then with 1 freshly charged battery directly in the camera. It seems to me I get way more photographs with two batteries, one at a time in

the camera than with both in the HLD-4.

I know about the firmware upgrade that was supposed to address a too early warning about low battery level. And I installed it. Yet what still looks like

a early warning often turns out to be real. The camera will sometimes work a little more if I switch the order of the batteries in the HLD-4. So I get the

impression that the HLD-4 wastes battery power.

Anyone else with this type of behaviour with the HLD-4?

Thanks in advance, dan

• 1 month later...

<p>Daniel<br>

I also have issues with the E-3 and HLD-4. But, on the bright side there is a firmware update coming out soon for the E-3. One of the fixes is to be the way it looks at batteries. <br>

Here is a link:</p>

<p>http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=42751</p>

I also get a shutdown issue when using the grip and the camera together. I have to cycle the camera (turn it off then on) to be able to continue. The last firmware fix did not solve this fully and I am hoping this one does. As to two batteries in the grip - well, I get maybe 10 more shots than I do with one. I have built a tester for the battery to measure the output etc and curve it and both batteries are the same (or very close).

<br />

<br />

My wife has a 510 and with my battery in her camera, or with her battery in her camera the # of shots are the same.

<br />

<br />

So, it must be a firmware issue and Olympus has recognized this and hopefully gives us the firmware update sooner than later.

<br />

Alan