Lens vs. Flash vs. Point and Shoot - Help?

michael_lowe3

Hey guys,

Here is what I've been thinking of. Yes, three completely different products for three completely different uses...BUT if YOU had to choose

one, which would you take?

I have a old Canon Rebel 300D, 50 f/1.8, 24-105 f/4. Here's what I am interested in:

1. Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5

2. Speedlite 580exII

3. Canon G10

Ok...GO!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Alright, maybe I should provide some more details. (I didn't want to over complicate things for you guys). I like shooting

landscapes and portraits as well as candids with my friends.

1. Canon 10-22 - I love the ultra wide and don't feel my 24-105 is wide enough at all. Having this lens (which I have

rented more than enough times) has allowed an entirely different perspective to my photos and I love it. Landscapes,

indoors, people, you name it. Having this lens expands my photography. Drawback: $700 price tag (And, yes, I know it's

on rebate)

2. Speedlite - The only flash I have is the on-camera junk which I hate. Although I do not have much experience with

flashes, I have found myself in a situation where I needed an external flash a number of times. I feel like it could add

style and flair to my photography while also allowing me to shoot in low light on a basic level. My 24-105 at f/4 is not fast

enough for most indoors. It also goes for around $350.

3. G10/G9 - Although I love my DSLR, I have found it to be bulky and annoyingly large at times. I am very active, and

sometimes wish I could have something smaller to take on my adventures so I would not have to worry about all my

equipment. Although I have yet to really use Canon's point and shoot, I feel like it would be a good, more covert,

companion to my DSLR on trips where busting out a huge body is not necessarily smart. It costs $499.

I am still a student (although soon to be jumping into the work field) and have limited expenses. I have been eyeing the

10-22 for the longest (and that will probably be my final choice), but I'm just wondering what everyone else's thoughts are

if they had to choose between the three.

Hope this clarifies, and I hope this will lead more into the discussion. Thanks!

Michael, this sounds like you have (at least) three different needs. These cannot be satisfied with just one

piece of equipment. (The flash will not give you wide, the wide will not give you light). So, ask yourself about

your priorities, and buy all three in the order you found out for yourself ... or ... make compromises ... a lot

of things (regarding flash photography) can be done with a (used) auto-thyristor flash from e*ay.(Certainly, a

dedicated flash like the 430ex or 580ex is better, nevertheless, an old auto-thyristor flash can do a lot of

things). Also ... if you

consider the Sigma 10-20 as a substitute for the efs10-22 from your wishlist, you also save some money. (Ok, both

don't help you with the weight).

Get all 3, but for much less.

First, If your looking to avoid bulk, dont get a G10 get a small point and click ( one of the SDXX ) they can be purchased

for about $200. They work great and make a great alternative to an SLR when you just want to get a shot. If I was to

carry a G10, I would just take my SLR and a prime. Save $300

Second, Get a 430 EX 1, Yes you do need a flash, its really the key to getting good photos especially with the 24-105.

You can get one for $200 from Amazon. Save $150

Third, Get a used UW. I picked up a 10-22 with the hood for $500 off craigslist or just go for a Sigma 10-20, Tamron 10-

24 or Tokina 12-24. You save $250

So all together Point and click $200, Flash $200, Lens $450. Thats $850 for all 3 items.

1. Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5

2. Speedlite 580exII

3. Canon G10

None of the above.

1. I don't like the extreme wideangle, I would like 18mm enough.

2. I really dislike flash use, plus it's a big beast. (Wish Canon had a SB400 like Nikon does.)

3. The G10 doesn't add much to what your 300D does and it's not that pocketable.

So what would I buy?

If I were you I'd get a better body. (Xsi / 40D / 50D)

After that I'd buy a 70-200/4 L IS and a 18-55 IS or a 17-40/4 L.

After that I'd buy a Panasonic LZ8. (A really cheap but good pocket camera.)

Kind regards, Matthijs.

After I got the 50D I start to feel my G9 is redundant in certain aspect. Not to say the G9 is not a good camera. It's

great and it deserves to be top of the line point and shoot in terms of quality and design. What I am getting at is that

your dslr will do that job for you every time you need a great shot. Only thing that would stop you from using it is its

portability and visibility nature. In cases where portability and visibility become a bigger concern over the quality of

the picture, (There will be cases when you participate in activities and just want to capture the "moment" with

excellent clarity; the zoom, exposure , and dof probably isn't the biggest concern to you compared to the the comfort

of the p&s's invisible nature), you would want the smallest camera with solid quality. In this regard the G9 is a

compromise between slr quality and p&s portability. Hence you are getting half of the advantage of a p&s. I agree

with Tommy that the SD series is your best bet if you want a p&s as backup.

On the side: I think g10 is a major upgrade from g9. I love he EV dial on the top and the wide angle zoom.