Schneider vs. Rodenstock

bob haight

Both manufacturers make incredible lenses! In terms of sharpness and flare these lenses are better by far than those used by Weston, Stieglitz, Man Ray, Adams - to just name a few...

Of course early lenses - uncoated or single coated - may have certain qualities that aren't present in modern lenses - and visa versa!

Lens choice then becomes a matter of personal preference!

As I was the one who made the connection (Linhof and Rodenstock) in the first place, let me say that Dito Photo (the Swedish agent) supplies Rodenstock lenses and I believe that HP Marketing does the same in the US.<br>

It is my opinion that both brand are equally good, no, not good, excellent. If I shouid choose between a Sch. and a Rod. 150mm lens it would be the Rod. Sironar-S, because of it's smaller physical size. (49mm filter thread as compared to 58mm for the APO Symmar.) But I'd feel very happy with the Symmar as well, as the performance of any of these lenses are neck to neck.<br>

If I was looking for a fairly compact, not too expensive 90mm wideangle, I'd go with the Nikon 90/f8 lens as that lens have the best coverage.<br>

When choosing a lens for a particular need, you have to look at all four major brands (Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikon and Fuji) and choose the one that suits those particular needs best. All four manufacturers produce excellent lenses of very high quality. There is really no such thing as an amateur range of lenses when considering lenses from the big four. (OK, there is the Sch. Xenar lenses, but I prefer to call them light-weight lenses. They are still very good performers.)

How about Rodenstock Geronar (spelling?) lenses -- I think those are triplets. Do they still make them? I can't believe they'd be anywhere near as sharp as Tessar or other formulations of modern lenses, even with multicoatings. But they're sure a lot cheaper. I've wondered about them for a long time -- does anyone use them?

In response to Daniel's inquiry: Rodenstock Geronar= geriatric= old fashioned. Draw your own conclusions, Daniel. Calumet sells a couple of low priced triplets under the Caltar label. I tried a 90mm Geronar a few years ago. It was a bad experience. Practically had to pay the dealer to take it off my hands, when I wanted to trade up to a Nikon 90 f8 SW.