Promaster Deluxe Lighting Kit

rebeccaskinner

Does anyone have any experience with this kit? My other option is Calumet for double the price. Am I missing

something? Is promaster a decent brand?

PROMASTER ®

SystemPRO Deluxe 2 Light Studio Lighting Kit

Features:

The PROMASTER SystemPRO Deluxe 2-Head Studio Flash Kit is perfect for the aspiring photographer ready to

venture into using studio flash. This step up kit comes complete with full featured 300ws studio flashes, soft boxes

for more creative lighting control, and 2 deluxe carrying bags for all of your gear.

Specifications:

The Advanced 2-Head Kit includes:

• 2 -300ws flash heads

with built in slave, modeling lamp, variable power, audible

ready signal and replaceable flash tube

• 2 - Deluxe light stands

• 1 White and 1 Silver reflector umbrellas

• Two deluxe carrying bags (one for flash heads and one for stands)

This kit? http://www.wolfes.com/eshop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=6575&category_id=230

No knowledge of it but the specs they provide (or lack of them) doesn't inspire confidence. You need to know about range of adjustment, colour temperature, flash duration, recycling time, modelling lamps and whether or not the reflectors can be removed, and which accessory fitting they have, and they don't tell you any of these things.

Bowens is one of several trusted makes. Sometimes it's better to spend more and avoid risk.

This quick intro to choosing studio lighting may be helpful http://www.photolearn.co.uk/free_pdf/How%20to%20choose%20your%20studio%20lights.pdf

Thank you very much for the link! It is excellent. I will continue reading. I have used the calumet lights and found them easy and they were recommended by my teacher at Rhode Island School of Design. I am definately comfortable buying those. I will get all specs in writing tomorrow. I was given them quickly over the phone. I know it has a fan and .5-2.5 recycle time.

Rebecca:

If those lights take 2.5 sec to recycle to full power, I'd pass on them. A 300ws light should be able to recycle in half that time. This may not seem like much now, but during a shoot it will drive you nuts. The lack of other specs is a bit disturbing.

There is a minimum price range that these lights stay above for quality. The calumets are in this range of decent price and decent quality. Alien bees is another brand to look into.

Skip the promaster stuff. Most of their other products (lenses, flashes) have not been so great.

When you compare different monolights, look at guide number in feet, not wattseconds.

The guide number will give you a better idea of the true output of the light.

The Calumet Genesis lights are a good value - I just purchased a set of

Interfit StellarX monolights from B&H and am very pleased with them, might be another

option?

Good luck,

Eric

I know the brand fairly well........the lights are fully variable but I would definately go with the 3 light kit because you need 3 lights for a professional looking portrait......the kit comes with 3 heads 2 softboxes and a translucent umbrella, stands and sync cords.........I used them with good success and they are built pretty well and priced great...the carry bags are also nice............over all I find them built as well as interfit and JTL and others that are priced a bit higher........