Do you know a US store that will ship to UK?

tony_arnold

For example, B&H ships to the UK, and we all know that they have an excellent reputation. However, it also depends on the exact item. For example, they (or any other dealer that plays by the rules) cannot ship certain Nikon DSLRs outside of the US, not even to Canada. It would be helpful if you can specify which products you have in mind.

Incidentally, 1 British Pound is now about US$1.5, so the savings is not as big as it was a few months ago.

B&H is the top-rated camera and electronics mail-order store in the US. Their store in New York City occupies an entire city block. I was just there last month. See this thread:

http://www.photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00RLdU

Below is their URL:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

A new D200 will cost you over $900 in the US, though. Are you talking about used?

85% of my equipment has been imported into South Africa from B&H, who are a very reliable company. This however was before the recent drop in value of our currency. Before the recent currency changes, friends in the UK didn't find it as viable as I did to import from the USA due to high customs duty. If you need to buy equipment now, I suggest doing your sums before ordering from outside of the UK.

Why not give these people a call:

http://www.camtechuk.com/shop/shop-list/product-list.php?manufac=nikon

They have two used but mint at very reasonable prices. You also get a UK warranty. I recently bought a used micro lens from Camtech. It was described as mint, and it was immaculate, with no signs of wear whatsoever. Make sure you ask him if the cameras have any signs of wear just in case, but I doubt it.

As others have said: falling pound, random but incomprehensibly large amounts of VAT, duty and whatnot added by the state, shipping, and lack of warranty make this nothing like as attractive as it can appear at first sight. Picking things up on a trip to the US sorts out the duty and shipping issues. You're stuck with the level of the pound and the warranty.

yes you are all making good sense...i ahve a friend in new york at present..i'll see if he can get one direct and bring it back...but he is on a holiday so maybe i shouldn't waste his time for my benefit and not his!

A D200 body is about £600 in UK still.

maybe Thailand via www.alibaba is an option?! Apparently the Nikns are made in Thailand-not China.

Appreciate the comments and good sense spoken