Nagaoka Seisakusho 4x5 View Camera

glenn_macfarlane

Hi,

I am new to LF photography. Just purchased a Nagaoka Seisakusho 4x5 View Camera. I am interested in

purchasing several add ons to the back of the camera, for instance, a polaroid film back. Could someone please tell

me the name of the attachments I need, I mean does this camera have what is called an International back or graflok

back or some other name....Im really quite lost and I can't find any information on the net to help.

All help greatly appreciated.......Thank You in advance.....

Polaroid discontinued production of film some time ago. I haven't checked, but it is probably hard to find, so a Polaroid film back is probably not a good investment, except for the models that work with the instant films made by Fuji. Fuji still makes instant films -- this thread describes the two sizes of backs and the models of holders: http://www.photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/005OQ0

An International / Graflok back has a back in which the ground glass and frame that holds the ground glass can be removed. There are sliding clips that can hold attachments to the camera. In this manner thicker film backs can be attached to the camera. Without this feature, on most cameras the springs that hold the ground glass frame limit the thickness of items that can be inserted under the ground glass. Thinner roll film and instant film holders can be used, but sometimes not thicker models.

Hi Michael,

The ground glass & frame which holds it in can be removed. So I guess anything described as having International/Graflok attachments can be used. Thank you for clearing that up.

Specifically what I am interested in at the moment is a cartrige arrangement that holds a number of film negatives ready for exposure. I think what I am after is either a Polaroid 550 holder or the Fuji Instant Holder # PA 45. Feel absolutely free to correct me if this is wrong.

Thanks again for your quick response.

Back again. May have clouded the issue. When I said that the ground glass & frame which holds it in can be remove, the whole back is removed which includes the frame surrounding the ground glass & its frame. The glass & its direct frame can however be lifted against the springs without being removed, to allow the insertion of what I guess would be the polaroid or fuji holders. Hope this is not too confusing to prospective helpers.

Glenn, be sure to distinguish between a repositionable back and a International / Graflok back. Virtually all LF cameras have a back that can be removed and rotated 90 degrees to allow both portrait and landscape orientations. (A few have rotating backs that allow this without removing the back.) But an International / Graflok back removes a smaller portion. The portion of the back remaining on the camera has sliding clips that can be used to hold an accessory in place.

Re lifting the glass and its frame without removing them: it is a question of how far they can be lifted. On some cameras the ground glass and frame have springs that only allow lifting the ground glass by an inch or two, which is plenty for conventional sheet film holders or thin holders such as the Polaroid 545 or the Calumet roll film holders, which insert like conventional sheet film holders, but isn't enough space for thick holders.

Thanks Michael,

This has a back that can be removed & rotated, without being able to remove the smaller ground glass section. The spring clips can be lifted about.. .........1& 1/2 ". Do you happen know if this is sufficient to insert a polaroid 550, I have been informed these are the most useful? if it isn't which is your recommendation for a multi sheet film holder. Thank you again for your time & trouble.

• 2 weeks later...