Camera Backpack for Ecuador

allan_dranberg

<p>  I am traveling to Ecuador for a little over two weeks; part of that trip will consist of seven days in

the Amazon basin (Napo River). I was hoping for a recommendation on a backpack/daypack for that portion of the

trip.</p>

<p>  I'm not bringing a ton of camera gear: D300, 10.5mm, 60mm macro, and 70-300 f2.8. The twist is

that I need to enough room in the pack for clothes that will last that leg of the trip (not that much necessary here

either: packable shorts, convertible shorts/pants, and a handful of shirts/underwear).</p>

<p>  A rain cover would be necessary. The DryZone Rover will work great, but it seems a bit over-kill to

me.</p>

<p>  Anyone had success with a certain bag, in a similar situation?</p>

We spent a week at Sacha Lodge in Equador two years ago, and the experience was flawless. You're very fortunate!

It's amazing how dark conditions can be under the rainforest canopy, though, so your f2.8 zoom is an excellent call. I understand the D300 shares some of the D3's excellent low-light capabilities, so you're nicely prepared.

You are wise to travel light, with thoughfully chosen gear, instead of turning yourself into a beast of burden.

I used a Think Tank Airport Addicted to get my gear safely through the flights from Canada to Equador, Quito to Galapagos, and Quito to Puerto Francisco de Orellana, locally known as Coca, and from Coca to the Lodge by river boat and canoe. My clothes and other stuff were in a Red Oxx carry-on bag.

In the field, I used a Think Tank Digital Holster with a chest harness for my DSLR with long zoom, and a TT belt system for other gear. The belt system met my needs very well while jumping in and out of pangas in Galapagos and hiking trails and wading across or even down streams in the jungle. Everything was accessible without stopping to take off a pack and rummage through it.

If you prefer a single bag for photo gear and clothing, the Think Tank Rotation 360 is worth a look:

http://www.rotation360.com/

I'm not sure how big its capacity is compared to the LowePro Dry Zone. Either one would probably work quite well there.

Have a memorable time!

I was in the Napo area (Napo Wildlife Center) in September. I used the Lowepro Computrekker which has the all-weather cover and it worked great. We had torrential downpours at times, but my gear kept bone dry. The lodge also supplied ponchos, so when the rain was really bad, that was a great backup. I like to have a point and shoot with me for informal pictures, and had just purchased an Olympus waterproof camera before this trip. It was really intended for the Galapagos portion of the trip, but was fun to have in the jungle during the rains. They call them rainforests for a reason!

I hope you have a great trip!

Asta