solar eclipse using ... use live view

paul_soohoo2

I shot a solar eclipse once in my film days using a 500mm Mirror lens. During the partial phase it was fitted with a solar filter and during

totality I removed the the filter. Got some nice photos.

During totality it is safe to view the eclipse without protection. One of the most dramatic moments of a solar eclipse is the moment right

when totality ends. Since the filter will be removed during totality and I want to capture this moment is there any danger to the camera

sensor having this huge burst of light hitting the sensor. Almost all of the sun will still be obscured but I'm concerned that the huge sudden

shift from dark to intense light could cause damage to the sensor.

If anyone has shot a solar eclipse (I have a d300 and plan on using the same 500mm lens) recently I'd be interested in what techniques

you used or precautions. In particular did you use live view??

One huge difference from my film days is I will be able to take more photos since the last time I was limited to 36 shots because trying to

reload film during totality is a sure way to miss an eclipse. One thing I know for sure photographing an eclipse should not "eclipse" the

experience of an eclipse.

-- "There are vast amount of UV rays, which burn your retina for sure,besides it is dark during totality."

And this is because UV rays will shine through the moon that is just obstructing the sun, or what? UV is reduced

in exactly the same way as normal light is reduced. Anyhow, its still a good idea to keep the eyes protected.

-- "Almost all of the sun will still be obscured but I'm concerned that the huge sudden shift from dark to

intense light could cause damage to the sensor."

There is no damage to be expected for the sensor ... but I would switch off live view shortly after the sun

becomes visible again.

"DO NOT look at the sun during a total eclipse."

There are many safe ways to look. Baader film glasses is one, Thousand Oaks glass filters are another. While it may technically be OK to use the naked eye right at actual and complete totality, the risk of extreme vision impairment isn't worth it -- and encouraging others do try this, especially when it is unknown what their intelligence/experience level is, is, in my view, dangerous and unconscionable.

Thanks for the responses. Also thank you for your concern ... but I am not stupid. Please reread my post carefully. I

observed the total solar eclipse with no fitters during **totality**. Read the first sentence (and the rest) of this article:

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/safety.html

BTW, I sat in on lecture of Mr. Espenak who probably has seen more solar eclipses than anyone alive today. I am well

aware of the dangers of viewing a solar eclipse (partial phases) with crap filters or no filters. However, I stared at the

sun and moon as well as thousands of others with the naked eye during ****totality**** and I assure I can see still see.

To quote the last line from the above reference:

"In spite of these precautions, the ***total*** (my emphasis so no one misinterprets this) phase of an eclipse can and

should be viewed *****without**** (my emphasis) any filters whatsoever. The naked eye view of totality is completely

safe and is overwhelmingly awe-inspiring!"

I hope this clears up the confusion because I thought I was explicit enough ... totality = safe.

Partial = DANGER/BLINDNESS.

If you are still concerned or unconvinced search throughout the Internet (wikipedia states the same thing) totality is

safe.

I'm still interested in comments from anyone who has actually shot a total solar eclipse in particular with a digital

camera.

"You'll shoot your eye out! You'll shoot your eye out!"

A quote from A Christmas Story? (one of my favorite movies where part of the plot is about a boy who longs for a Daisy

Red Ryder BB gun and the well know admonishment that you'll shoot out your eye. Actually some truth to this because

BBs are steel which have a nasty habit of bouncing off hard objects.

Live view? Perhaps not the best method of shooting the sun.

You may want to try a few sunrise or sunset images of the sun, and see if the haze will do some filtering of the sun if you want to experiment with live view before your attempt at a actual eclipse.

Going from live view to no-live-view operation in a quck manner may also be a problem when you go into the phase of shooting totality.

Here is one early-in-the-day sample (no live view attempted) taken with a D3 and a 1000mm f11 Reflex-Nikkor lens. **No sensor damage so far**

http://www.photo.net/photo/8025936

Viewing an eclipse during totality, and briefly before and after second and third contacts for "Bailey's Beads", is completely safe. One caveat: With any camera, telescope, or binoculars the concentrated light can damage the eyepiece(s) by overheating if aimed long enough at at the sun. I fractured a Leica 7X50 bino eyepiece this way using projected images of sunspots.

Paul, in the article you cite, you quote the last sentence. Here is the first: "The Sun can be viewed safely with the naked eye only during the few brief seconds or minutes of a total solar eclipse."

You have experience, great. You may be in a group led by someone with experience, excellent. But not everybody (perhaps even some happening on this thread) who gets excited to view eclipses knows anything about those which are annular, or even just partial.

My point was, we have to be careful in saying what is perfectly safe (for experienced people), but may be very dangerous for others (who really don't know when totality has been reached, or in a given eclipse, how long it will last)...

BTW, Thousand Oaks filters aren't crap. I've used one on my Maksutov to show the sun to lots of kids and adults.

Wow, now I know first hand how flame wars start. First Bill let me clarify when I was referring to "crap filters". I was

not referring to your filter recommendation although with some effort I can see how you might infer that. I was

referring to the myths that float around like viewing an eclipse through exposed film or polarized sunglasses although

the latter is not much of problem because few people know what exposed film looks like anymore.

I guess my question is how should have posed this question? I thought I was clear in my initial posting that all of the

stuff I was referring to was during totality. To answer my own question I guess I should have capitalized TOTALITY

and warned people not to look at the eclipse during partial phases. However, your warning says do not look at a

solar eclipse period. The positive side of your warning is it keeps everyone safe but in my view makes everyone

afraid of viewing a solar eclipse without protection during totality. For example the next solar eclipse has a long

totality, near 5 minutes. 5 minutes of awe inspiring wonder that is lost if you view it through a solar filter. Yes, you

absolutely should time this out and in my first experience several people managed the countdown to warn us when

totality would end although as noted by Alex there is little risk if you happen to happen to catch a glimpse of the sun

at the end of totality. . However, my assumption and question was directed at people who have first hand

knowledge of shooting an eclipse and were aware of all of the side dangers involved. .

So to set the record straight, I am sorry that I did not make clear and explicit warning about the dangers of viewing a

total solar eclipse during the partial phases. Also annular eclipses are dangerous to view unprotected during all

phases.

Dare I say it. Lunar eclipses are completely safe during all phases. I know people that have told me not to look at a

lunar ecliplse because it will burn out my eyes. These are the same people that say do not look at a solar eclipse.

To summarize Bill your point is well taken about being careful about what we say and I **thought** I was being

explicit about totality but many of the responses seemed like I was encouraging reckless behavior.

Here's an example that had me thinking about this very issue in a similar context. Art Wolfe on a recent episode of

Travels from the Edge was describing and shown photographing Alaskan brown bears at a distance of about 60

yards.. Mr. Wolfe while shooting his frames described how his low position and non threatening posture made him

non threatening to the bears which I interpreted to mean "safe". Was Mr. Wolfe being reckless and irresponsible

because he may encourage other amateurs with far less experience to photograph brown bears in this manner.

During the show there was no warnings like "do not attempt photographing bears in this manner Wolfe is a

professional"

My conclusion was if you are going to do something like photograph a brown bear or view a solar eclipse you should

do your homework. If I read viewing a solar eclipse was safe because I read it on photo.net and I became blind who

would I blame? My personal answer is it was my fault for shoddy research. I never trust what I read or hear unless I

have properly researched it.

So let's wrap this up with:

DO NOT VIEW A SOLAR ECLIPSE UNLESS YOU ARE POSITIVE ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND THE

EQUIPMENT AND THE TECHNIQUES HAVE BEEN FULLY TESTED. DOING SO CAN LEAD TO PERMANENT

DAMAGE TO YOUR EYES. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!! DO NOT TRUST WHAT YOU READ UNLESS YOU ARE

SURE OF YOUR SOURCES.

Alex, thanks for the insight. That was what I was looking for and had not thought of that.

I include the sun in a lot of my pictures, I have had no damage, a lot of flairs and spots but the sensor is still OK.

Would an eclipse be any different? I don't know, but this sure has been fun to watch.

On the other hand I don't as a rule use the live view feature. I guess I just haven't gotten used to it or even tried it much, it seams like there was a lag of some sort?

I suppose the question is. If you use live view and leave the sensor exposed for a long period during the eclipse will that cause damage to it?

Sorry I don't have an answer, Maybe we could get an answer from a Nikon tech.? I'm sure there's one on here some where.

Mike

"However, your warning says do not look at a solar eclipse period." Paul

With respect, my post only quoted someone else's complete prohibition... My original post begins, "There are many safe ways to look..."

Paul, I realize you were very explicit about totality... And I apologize if I implied otherwise...

However, many amateurs have no idea when totality is, that's all. When you mention the warnings you've received about lunar eclipses, it indicates the general lack of awareness that persists.

But back to your post, as one really interested in capturing solar eclipses, might I suggest an electronic guidance system on a sturdy tripod that would keep the camera pointed sunward, without having to resort to LiveView (which might not work as well in relative darkness).

I might also suggest using the Intervalometer on the D300 (I assume it has one), set at one exposure every second, to make a time lapse record... Thus you have individual captures, but also an opportunity to make a really stunning movie.

I would worry about the sensor being exposed to direct sun for extended periods. Particularly if the sun is kept in one

position in the viewfinder. Free-handed for a photo, then moved away would minimize the time the sensor was in sun. Or if

on a tripod, the lens could be covered between shots.

The live view will of course be only as bright as the display is capable of being. It can't transmit any UV at all from the

sensor, so that would be entirely safe to view at any point during the eclipse. Through the camera's eyepiece is another

matter, as discussed above.

If you're considering using the camera as a way to watch the eclipse and take some shots along the way, barring a qualified

tech response to the question, I'd err on the side of minimizing placing the sensor in direct sun as much as possible. The

small point of light on the sensor will get hot, that's almost a certainty.

Most sunset photos are relatively brief. Keeping the sensor in sun for minutes at a time might indeed be a risk not worth

chancing.

I've viewed numerous eclipses by projection using a 4.25" reflector telescope. I captured the 1979 total eclipse with a Nikon

F2 attached to the eyepiece tube, no eyepiece involved. The camera's focusing screen was badly matched to such a long

lens, so the finder image was actually viewable and I got a good sequence of photos. It was a hazy day nationwide, perhaps

that also shaded the finder's image somewhat. I don't believe it would be safe to try this with a camera telephoto, it was the

specific combination of the 1000mm telescope and the Nikon's finder screen that made it safe enough for me to view the

eclipse.

At other times, while viewing the sun by projection, no camera, I've put my finger in the eyepiece's focal point. It got hot

enough in a second to cause me to yank away my finger or be burned. I'm sure it would resemble this at the focal point of

your camera's lens where it was aimed on the sensor.

I'd use live view as an adjunct and not as the primary viewing tool.

-Ed

• 6 months later...