Nikon D70 Noise Problem (Stupid Newbie Question)

nick_loeser

I just got a Nikon D70 with a 55mm lens. I was excited about upgrading from a point-and-shoot, but was surprised

that my images still seem grainy when I zoom in at 100% in Photoshop. Regardless of what format I shoot (RAW or

Jpeg), and at the highest setting FINE the image is poor and the file size is only 2 - 4 megs in size. What am I

doing wrong?

Thanks, Nick

Noise increases with undrexposure. Is your camera measuring the light properly with the 55 mm lens?

Try to add more light. Use low ISO setting, e.g. 200, and turn off Auto ISO.

D70 is fine camera, so you must be doing something wrong, or the camera is faulty. Read EXIF file data to search

for clues.

It might be the limit of the lens/camera combination; @ 100% zoom in photoshop, I think you are asking a lot of a 6MP

camera. @ 100% zoom in iPhoto ( I know it's not he same) I noticed a difference going from from a 10MP DX to a 12MP

FX. Your question is not stupid, how could you have known what to expect? Are you talking about reasonably sized prints

or the image quality when viewed on your PC screen?

Thanks guys, I guess I was making the assumption that if a digital image at 100% on my laptop screen looks grainy, and when I zoom in it gets worse, how could it possible be blown up to a large format print, or poster size, and look clean?

I have not adjusted any settings like ISO, I just focused the lens and took a shot! So, I am sure I have some playing around to do... So, the 2-4mb size per image is a normal size? It seems small.

1) Use the lowest ISO setting.

2) Use the smallest aperture setting no greater than f8.

3) Use the fastest shutter speed that your available light will allow.

4) Use a tripod.

All these will enhance the quality of the image. With a point and shoot you get the image pretty much automatically with the

camera. With a DSLR you have to learn to use the different variables to enhance your image.

When you magnify an onscreen photo more than 100% you're beginning to see individual pixels, which exaggerates flaws. By the time an onscreen image is magnified beyond 400% actual noise (not really grain with digital) begins to be obscured and you see mostly blocky pixels. By 600% or more magnification it's no longer possible to discern between noise/grain and pixels, until you step back several feet or across the room. It's like looking at half-tone newspaper or magazine reproduction with a magnifying glass, or a painting done in pointillism style from less than arm's length away.

If you're seeing actual noise it's due to underexposure, using high ISOs or both.

Resizing using upsampling algorithms, fractals and other methods should increase size beyond 100% without exaggerating the appearance of individual pixels, noise, etc. However, these are editing techniques beyond the scope of the Nikon Forum. You can find good information in photo.net's Digital Darkroom forum.

With the D70 a maximum size, maximum resolution JPEG may be only 2-4 MB in file size. Raw files (NEFs) should be larger in file size (tho' not in dimensions).

Nick, if you could post a sample image with this problem, it would be very helpful for the rest of us to understand the exact issue.

Generally speaking, as several people have already pointed out, underexposure contributes to noise.

I would set the ISO to the minimum 200 and shoot a "sunny 16" image (i.e. 1/200 sec, f16) during the day to assure that you get good exposure and then re-check the noise issue.

The D70 produces good images. It's not really an overly noisy camera it just does not have the noise reduction many cameras offer today. The JPG images are compressed so the close file size is quite small but they are still 3000x2000 pixels. The biggest difference I notice between RAW and JPG with my old D70 was the extra exposure latittude you can get from RAW because of the abilty to recover a wee bit of highlight detail, and being to set the white balance and tone comp after shooting. Durring the time I worked making wide format prints I made a series of 42 inch wide prints from a D70 for a phographer/artist the prints looked very good but they were very dark and moody with a lot of intentional motion blur so they were no problem to enlarge that big. The biggest I ever printed from my own old D70 was around 12x18 inches and they were wedding images.

The assumption is that the image quality of the dSLR will be vastly better than the P&S. Though it should be better, the amount depends on the specific cameras. I have a Panasonic P&S that gives spectacular image quality under the right conditions. Under those conditions, the difference between that and my D200 is pretty minor. Where the big differences show up is when the light levels get lower, or you need to go to lens focal length extremes, or the 50 other reasons you get a dSLR rather than a P&S. There will also be color accuracy differences and dynamic range differences, with the edge obviously going to the dSLR. IMO, people worry too much about noise. You can magnify a digital image as much as you want on-screen, to the point where any image looks terrible, but rarely does it matter in a print. I've had wall sized posters made from both the Panasonic and the Nikon which, viewed from the proper distance, look fine. Not surprisingly, it's only photographers who fixate on noise. Customers rarely care, assuming the noise levels are reasonable and the rest of the image is properly crafted.

Under the right conditions, my D70s can make cleaner images than my D300. With a D70, use ISO200, the histogram (though it's green channel only), RAW + captureNX, optimal apertures, a tripod and remote. The camera is capable of excellent quality. The real limit is the skill of the operator.

Viewing a D70 image (or rather viewing a small part of it) at 100% is like printing it out at poster size,

and then viewing the poster from a short distance. Screen resolution is 100 dpi at most (most are only

80), so your image gets blown to 75-100cm width. If your image looks OK at 50%, it will be OK at print.

I agree with what others have said regarding the view but bear in mind that you're viewing the images on a laptop

screen too. I noticed a real difference when I changed my CRT screen to an LCD; less smoothing on the edges,

differences in colour reproduction, etc.

Try printing out a couple of shots that you think look bad and check the results. Of course, if you're using a cheap

printer...