Pentax P-TTL flash options Google Knol: almost complete.

matthew miller

<p>My article on <a

href="http://knol.google.com/k/matthew-miller/pentax-p-ttl-hot-shoe-flash-options/3jwk7bitq8i8/1">Pentax P-TTL

Compatible Flash Options</a> is almost complete. Just have to add a section on physical qualities -- build, size,

and user interface.</p>

<p>This isn't intended as a review, since I did little to no actual testing. It's just a gathering of all the

available technical information, so those in the market for a flash can make an informed decision. And hopefully,

a useful presentation of that information.</p>

<p>It's all getting very big for a single Knol, so I may eventually split it into several parts.</p>

<p>Right now, I'd really appreciate corrections of any errors, and suggestions for how I might make the article

better. Thanks!</p>

Excellent article! The various flash features have always totally mystified me. This actually clears things up.

Great, great article Matthew.

Would you be interested in including US price comparison if I could write that up?

I still have no idea how to actually *do* anything other than fill flash... but that's not the fault of your

article. :-P

Matthew, really nice work. Thank you for such detailed comparisons. Since you asked, there are a couple topics I'd be interested in hearing more about: UI, PC sync, distance scale display, and settings retention.

UI: people frequently comment on Metz's user interface being very unusual, a love or hate it affair. It'd be helpful to hear a bit about the different approaches the manufacturers have taken, and in what shooting circumstances one might find those decisions especially useful or vexing.

PC Sync: which models have a built-in PC sync port?

Distance Range Estimation: are ranges estimated? If so, under what modes?

Settings retention: are mode, intensity, zoom, aperture, ISO, compensation, etc. fairly sticky or does the flash tend to override the user's settings?

I've got a Pentax AF360FGZ. That model lacks PC sync. It displays distance range estimates only when set to 90 degrees, in A mode. At 90 degrees, P-TTL & M modes display an empty distance scale, without the range estimate. Spotbeam (focus assist) mode displays neither.

Aperture, ISO, and compensation share the same button. Well, it's not exactly a button. It's a two step-operating of pressing a button which activates a thumbwheel. It's the thumbwheel that actually changes each setting. Using it requires gripping the flash head/body for leverage; thumb/finger alone simply won't move it. So there's no way to keep both hands on the camera while making those adjustments.

Zoom is controlled by a separate button, which cycles through the options; so if you've zoomed in one step too much, it's necessary to go around the whole cycle again.

Once the flash has manually or automatically powered down (it lacks a true sleep mode), the mode, intensity, compensation, and zoom are reset immediately to P-TTL, 1/1, 0, and max width respectively. ISO, aperture, format (35mm, medium format, or APS-C), and wireless channel settings are retained between power-ups. Only format and wireless channel are retained when the battery door opens (it has a tendency to slide open on its own). It's clearly intended for those shooting almost exclusively P-TTL. For those who have more varied needs, losing user settings every couple of minutes will quickly become annoying.

A, M,and Spotbeam modes are not available when the flash is configured as a Master or Controller.

Also, as long as you're charting metrics, how about adding weight? I'd be especially interested in a correlation of coverage and weight -- between models with similar coverage, does one have a noticeable weight advantage? When carrying equipment around all day, being able to save a few ounces is a major benefit.

Again, thanks for all your hard work on creating such a valuable resource.

Thanks everyone, especially Carina Z for the detailed report. I'll definitely add a weight/coverage comparison.

Dan — I thought about doing a price comparison, but I'd be worried about keeping the data current. Plus, neither B&H and Adorama carry Promaster (let alone the generic/Sakar flash). The only local store to do so is Hunt's, and their prices aren't very good for anything. (A fact I wouldn't begrudge if their service weren't also awful.) So I'm not sure how to properly figure that out. It'd be nice to be able to just use the B&H price, or even Amazon.

On another note: I'm thinking of splitting the article into portions, since I think it's currently exceeding the "one unit of knowledge" idea. :)

That's terrific information and should be called the Definitive Pentax flash guide.

I noticed what is probably an error about the Sigma EF-530. The guide says that this flash supports only full power and 1/16th power. I believe this is incorrect. I don't have the EF-530 but I do have the EF-500 super (and the Vivitar 880AFP which is exactly the same flash except it doesn't support P-TTL). These two flashes support control of the power from full to 1/64th power in stops increments ( 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 etc.). I would be very surprised if the EF-530 didn't support this feature as well.