Cold Weather Shooting-Advice Needed Please

CharlesBecker-Toronto

Even though I was born/raised in Montreal and now live in Toronto,I have never really done much in the way of winter photography as I

don't like the cold; the bears have the right idea-eat yourself into a coma and sleep until spring! Having said that,a friend and I will be

driving to Minneapolis then west to Montana and north to Calgary and I could use some pointers. I know about keeping batteries warm etc

and putting the camera in a bag afterwards but am a little unsure about the specifics; does the bag need to be airtight? How long after

coming back inside should I keep it in the bag (I have heard half an hour and I have also heard one full hour). If I want to go back outside

to shoot before the camera has warmed up, can I do so or am I going to have a problem? Any advice about preventing condensation would

be much appreciated. Thanks! cb :-)

At Taos Ski Valley there is a group of "on-mountain" phtographers, much as many other places. They shoot from about 10:00-12:00 then go in and develop the negs (yes, they use film). By about 3:30 the contact sheets are ready. They generally shoot on sunny days, but the temp in Jan can be -20F on mountain and at 11,000+ feet. Never asked them what they do to protect the equipment! If we get snow some day, I will.

If you are going 'digital,' you could just keep your camera-lenses in the trunk of your vehicle. Once cold, your equipment will not be given the chance to 'frost up' or have the 'frost' thaw that would be the best thing to avoid on your trip. If you have a computer that you plan on storing images on from your day's shoot, you can pop out your memory card and let it 'thaw' in a zip-loc bag for an hour or so. [spent a little more than three years in central Alaska, 1984-1987, and the worst high temperatures in those three winters were around -22 degrees F.]

What Gerald says: keep the gear in the trunk so it stays cold. When bringing the gear inside try putting your gear inside ziploc bags (get the big ones). Open them up when the gear is warm to the touch - could take an hour or half an hour depeding on where you put your gear.

Don't worry about heating the batteries warm. This is only an issue with disposable alkalines. Proprietary Li-ion and NiMH batteries work just great in the cold.

If it's really cold (-20C/0F and lower) be sure to hold your breath while you got your eye on the viewfinder, or else consensation will form on the camera. I turn my head away while breathing out, or breathe out of the corner of my mouth.

Hi

I agree with Arie on his shooting technique. Earlier this year in extreme low temperatures in China I got some sort of

frostbite on my nose from it being pressed to the back of a (very) cold Nikon. To see the full story (and various

photography cold weather tips) check out the post on my blog. It's at:

http://www.mikemccormac.co.uk/wordpress/2008/01/china-gricers-january-2008-2/

Enjoy

Mike

www.mikemccormac.co.uk