Canon 5d Screen

darcy_cheung

Hi, I just purchased a Canon 5d, I have a xti before, my question is the back screen of 5d, is it always off unless you

press the info button? It is kind of differnt between xti, xti is always on until you get close to the viewfinder and it will

turn off the screen automatically. So I don't know if the 5d is not the same or mine is a defected one. Thanks

There is a menu function called review time on the 5D. This governs whether a picture you have just taken is shown on the LCD panel and if so for how long. There are alternative settings available from zero (new pictures not shown, LCD screen operates only when you press "Info". to on indefinitely for those with lots of batteries. If you can't use this setting to get what you want, there's a camera problem- but frankly at this point I'd doubt it.

Oh, and its not the info button you press to bring up the last picture taken, its the botton of the rown of 4 at lhs of the screen indicated by a blue right-facing arrow. The Info button brings up text info about the picture. Once you have used the bottom button to get a picture displayed, the info button rotates the view and info. about the photograph

Not sure about the 5D, but I know the XTi has a "proximity sensor" near the viewfinder that turns the LCD off when you put the camera to your face. This is to eliminate any distraction from the LCD light when you're looking throught the VF. I suspect it's not present on the 5D.

Following what Ed says... the XTi uses it's rear screen to display setting information such as shutter speed, aperture, iso, etc. as it does not have the "info display" like the other xxD and xD cameras do (on the top right part of the body). Canon designed this as a way to reduce the size of the body on the XTi and keep it more compact. Of course, your 5D DOES have the small info screen on its body and, therefore, doesn't need to display that on the rear screen as your XTi does.

Your 5D screen is acting as it should and is perfectly normal. Cheers!

If the XTi's LCD is "always on", that's because it intentionally or accidentally got set that way. I don't remember what the factory default is, but you set this in the camera menus. I can't stand the darn thing glowing at me, so I just turn it off altogether so that I only see a LCD version of the picture by pushing the button when I WANT to chimp.

The XTi LCD is "always on" as factory default.

It's not displaying the image, it's displaying the camera parameters because it doesn't have an LCD on top like the 5D does.

I believe this is what Darcy is talking about.

The 5D doesn't have such a feature and will only display the image based on the "review time" setting.