Tripod recomendations

jim mucklin

After reading the old posts, I looking for a recomendation on what type of legs to upgrade to, the old3033 is just to

big. I be using it with a Nikon D2x and glass no bigger than 28-80, 85mm. Just something that I can come in to a

room set down and adjust from the childrens eye level to adults easily, fold and move to another room. It doesn't have

to reverse to do macro or weigh ounces so I can take it to Mount Everst or be able to support a WWF wrestler.

Also along those lines I have seen quite a few recomendations on the 3265 pistol grip, is this the way to go, or with a

ball head? I have the old head with the three levers that you need three hands and three minutes to adust.

If you could recomend anything that you are using or have used it would be appreciated

Thanks

Jim

Not sure about what tripod to recommend. I use a Bogan 3221. The center rises about 24 inches with a quick release lever. It is fairly heavy duty but there are times when I need to set the camera/tripod off to the side to shoot with a second camera. I'd rather be safe then sorry then with some of the lightweights available when leaving it unattended. I been using the pistol grip for years and would never go back to any other kind. I also use a cable release when using the camera on a tripod, which really helps with kid photos. Would like to hear if anybody is using the wireless remote to trigger camera for portraits.

I have the same tripod as Mel, but I bought it for my medium format gear. I have a large Giottos ball head on mine with a RRS clamp, but a lot of people like the pistol grip. When I use a cable release, I use the old fashioned kind. At weddings, I only use a tripod for formals where I am dragging the shutter rather deeply, and I just use the 'lean on it' technique.

Thanks everyone for your help, I just want it for that purpose to shoot the formals at low shutter speeds and I am coming to realize that I can't hand hold like I use to. I purchased a shutter release cable last year and what a difference it mad with the small children, it seems that they make better eye contact when they can see you verus the lens.