D300 settings

sim_m

If your version of elements will accept a version of ACR that supports the D300. 6 or 7 yes. Earlier no.

Download the latest from Adobe. Free up grade.

That or convert to NEF to DNG format which is a universal raw format and works in any ACR.

Second time in two days for this one. Got to be a record.

Shoot a test pic of your house to see what happens.

If you are shooting JPG, the D300 can produce wonderful images that need little or no post processing. The Standard picture control works well for most shooting conditions. I also suggest Neutral when shooting with a flash. I sometimes set the contrast one setting to the left (less contrast) when shooting subject mattern with high contrast. You can also turn active D-lighting on which does a good job as well.

The best basic programs to open Nikon RAW files would be View NX or Capture NX. View NX is free from Nikon and allows for basic adjustments. Capture NX offers much more advanced image adjustments but no image editing - a program like CS3 is required for that.

You can produce wonderful images with a point-and-shoot camera in some situations.

Unfortunately, that doesn't tell you a whole lot.

But since you spent money on a higher-end DSLR such as the D300, why shoot JPEG only and therefore throw away a lot of potentially very useful information at the time you capture the image?

You are right Shun, not just the body, but also good lenses .<P> And it makes no sense to not make use of its

best output. Maybe I'm still a bit stuck on 35mm which leaves me lazy on discovering what computer processing offers.

"But since you spent money on a higher-end DSLR such as the D300, why shoot JPEG only and therefore throw away a lot of potentially very useful information at the time you capture the image?"

A good observation, but only your perspective and a bit rigid. Why not utilize both? I shoot mostly RAW, however, as Elliot suggested, Nikon offers a bit of in-cam processing if I do not want to take the time for post. I use my D300 from everything to making a living with it to shooting my godson's birthday party which hardly needs to shot in RAW.

I do use the Standard picture control and up the sharpening and saturation a bit and turn on the ADL. Pics come out fine for snapshots without post. Saves time and energy.

I am glad Nikon allows me the flexibility in the real world.

Good luck.

David, I chose my words very carefully. What I am against is shooting JPEG only, in case that wasn't clear to you. If one shoots RAW + JPEG, he/she wouldn't be throwing away any useful information at the time of the capture.

In particular, on the D300, you can shoot RAW + JPEG Fine. On a low-end DSLR such as the D40 or D60, you'll be stuck with JPEG basic if you shoot RAW + JPEG.

Personally, I simply don't bother with RAW + JPEG, as it is trivial to get a JPEG version from the RAW using one of many software. But that is just me.

Shun, you were very clear you are "against shooting JPEG only". Hence my comments of why not shoot JPG and do some in cam processing? Saves time and for snapshot photography, works well for certain applications--like "general use not portraits".

I understand where you are coming from, but there are other options and applications for shooting than yours or mine. Your method is only one way to achieve the desired result that you are seeking. There are others that work just as well and the OP asked about in-cam settings on a D300.

I am glad you are happy with how you shoot. This is fun and the variety of info allows a person to make their own decision via reading and experimenting.

What I did was questioning why someone who showed interest in capturing high-quality images would spend money on a fairly high-end DSLR but chooses a capture mode

that automatically throws away a lot of useful information every time. Believe me, I have seen some well-to-do folks

who buy a D2X or D3 but have no idea how to use it, or you shoot news and have to send in JPEG images in real

time. Unless it is one of those situations, most likely the original question indicated a sub-optimal approach that has

obvious room for improvement.

Now, if we were talking about a D40 intended for casual family images, that would be a totally different story.

My initial question was designed to make the OP think about his approach, and looks like it worked.

If you notice my portfolio. you may see what I intend to capture. I am always looking for improvement in technique, equipment etc. I loved photography for years now (mostly 35mm). There are many things in digital that I need to learn and improve, any help is always valuable..

For me, it is all about knowing your equipment and how to use it. I feel all current DSRL cameras are capable of great and very similar results (not including high ISO) if set and used properly. And most can produce great JPG files.

Both Nikon and Canon give a lot of flexibility to in camera settings via Picture Control and other settings. If you have them set to your likings and get the exposure right, you can get JPGs that can look just as good as a processed RAW file.

Simon, your shots looks great. I don't know if they can be improved! Are these from JPG files? If they are, keep on doing what you are doing. You are doing fine!