London anybody?...

steve deer

Also at the National Portrait Gallery, the Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2008 exhibition. Very good, and very free. If you don't know London, some advice, buy an AtoZ (street map) and walk around. Nothing wrong with the Tube (the underground, metro for non-locals) which has been faithfully serving Londoners since roughly 1863, but its surpirisingly nice to walk around and get a feel for the geography of the place and realise that distances between stations is actually very small in central London. Have fun!

I second Starvy. The Byzantine exhibition at the RA is stunning. All the other suggestions are good. As a Londoner (though now living in Cambridge) I feel I can say that while the Underground has been serving us since the 19th century, it is much less efficient than it was when I was a kid and is one of the most expensive in the world. For the past year or more there have been major disruptions on the weekends for engineering work and usually only a few lines are working normally. Check the Transport for London website for planned disruptions. When the weather is good I have no difficulty walking from Tate Modern to Tate Britain to the National Gallery to the British Museum and there's a lot to see in between.

<i>Nothing wrong with the Tube (the underground, metro for non-locals) which has been faithfully serving Londoners since roughly 1863, but its surpirisingly nice to walk around and get a feel for the geography of the place and realise that distances between stations is actually very small in central London. Have fun!</i><br><br>That's what I have found too. I used to go up and down escalators and on and off of trains just to get a few hundred yards down the street. I never use the underground in London now.