Light streak in photo, battery usage, Mf bag

jameshaskins

hey all,

have a few questions that im having trouble solving.

ive out using my Mf system. its a bronica sq-ai, with three lenses. 40mm, 80mm, and 150mm. plus th epolaroid

back and AE meter prism, along with the speed grip. I get the excitement to go out and take some shots but when i

think about hauling the stuff around in my small 35mm bag , the excitement goes away. Im looking into a MF bag,

and dont know wether to get the "backpack" style or the shoulder one. i would like to spend as little as possible,

buut with decent protectiona and a water proof quality.

as for the camera, im more or less happy. sometimes it stops on me and im still trying to figure it out. most of the

time its the battery....wooooow, it sucks the battery so quick! i cant leave in the batterys for a week, even without

taking shots. any battery adapters to last longer?

last question, is on my photos. i developed and printed my negs. quite a few photos came up with a strange light

streak from the lower right corner up about 4 cm. its not little streak. its about 1-1 1/2 cm wide. a few photos have it

a few dont. i thought it was to big to be a sun ray, and i believe its in photos where i was in the shade as

well.......any ideas?

THANKS!!

james

'a strange light streak from the lower right corner up about 4 cm'

That sounds like a light leak. The effect of the leak may change because the time a film frame is exposed to the leak is not

the same. Can you tell the difference between frames that were quikly after each other exposedand those that stayed a

longer period behind the lens?

Ben

Light streak is probably covered above. As regards battery usage though, make sure you TURN OFF THE AE PRISM after use !! My batteries normally last months and months of shooting. I left the AE prism on once for a couple of days attached to the camera, and it killed the (1 or 2 week old ) batteries completely in that time. In fairness, the batteries are so tiny I always have a spare set stuck into my bag somewhere ( they're also the same batteries used by my light meter and my nikon FE-2 so I tend to buy in bulk, not that they need changing all that often !).

I also have the winder and the AE prism. If I'm shooting macro or potrait where I'll need to work relatively quickly I'll bring them along. Other wise I just go out with the body +WLF/normal crank, and the 80mm and 50mm. Fits into a fairly small 35mm system bag. The winder & prism really add to the bulkiness and weight.

That setup fits nicely into a Lowepro Pro Mag II with a lens and prism in place, with room for film, meter and flash. The Pro Mag II is a tall, slim bag which I find more comfortable than a wide bag. Everything will fit vertically for convenience. I keep one around for run-and-gun with the Hasselblad or a Nikon DSLR with a set of f/2.8 zooms.

Once you exceed 15 pounds or so, a shoulder bag is really uncomfortable after an hour or two. A couple more lenses, spare back or two will quickly add up the pounds. A small backpack can be carried comfortably all day with two straps, or like a shoulder bag for an hour or two on one strap.