A-1s and Absolute don't go together...

michael_oxford

So a couple years back I managed to get the foam off the mirror bumper in my A-1 onto the focusing screen. I never really managed

cleaning it because a couple months later I bought an F-1 and never looked back

...until two months ago.

I decided that I was sick of the big bulky F-1 and wanted to go back to the A-1 because it is obviously smaller and lighter. Great. I also

decided to finally get around to fixing the focusing screen... Long story short I got the great idea to clean out the screen with alcohol... and

since I didn't have any rubbing alcohol, i raided the liquor cabinet and went for some Absolute. While it managed to clean the screen, I also

think it got into the camera because now it does not work.

fun.

So the moral of the story? Don't clean out your electronic cameras with vodka. It's just as harmful to your liver as it is to your 30 year old

camera.

One other thing: anyone know how to get an A-1 open? I've tried to no avail, and i'd really like to get this ting apart. I have a hunch I can fix

it/clean it out, and as long as it's broken anyway, it's worth a shot.

Why didn't you take the screen out of the camera before you tired cleaning it that way you would have only ruined it.

Since it is plastic using alcohol on it would have been the end of it but at least you wouldn't have screwed the camera.

Not to pick on you Michael But this is a prefect example of why I go on and on here about not giving repair suggestions to people who post on the forum. Since there is no way to know their skill level or luck at camera repair.

As to how to open your A-1 I guess your talking about the top covers? NO idea I have owned a half dozen or more A-1's over the years and never ever had the urge to remove the top cover. Having a tremendous amount of repair skill or many many thing from Automobiles to electronics and having the skills of a machinest I never ever once thought taking one apart would be a good idea.

No offense taken, Mark; My intention was to make sure someone dosen't f*&^% up as big as i did!

The reason why I did not take the screen out was simply becasue I couldn't get the thing open. I had previously tried

cleaning it out with Eclipse cleaner (http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/PZ1040/) but that did nothing. The alcohol

was kinda a "WTF" last resort, and obviously destroyed the camera. Not one of my brighter moments.

I have attempted getting it open; i took out all the screws holding down the top plate and tried to pry it appart- didn't

budge. I'm very paranoid about applying too much force and mutilating it even more.

A single screw at the top of the mount holds the screen in remove that screw and the screen swings down and can be lifted out of it;s frame. This is how the screen is changed in an A-1. Canon in the manual says it is for a service center only to do but many have done it them selves it is pretty easy if you have the skills.

Taking apart broken cameras is always fun! I have a whole sack of mutilated 'as is ebay' Canon FD cameras that I've taken apart....never been able to get one back together though. The biggest problem I run into when taking apart something I shouldn't? Stripped screws. I'm not sure where to get a proper precision screwdriver set but the one I have doesn't cut it. The heads on those itty bitty screws won't take much abuse. Then after I strip one out of course the only logical thing to do is get out the drill.... hence the sack o' cameras.