Macro

davidsimageline

There are lots of ways to take closeups. In many cases the advantages of a dedicated macro lens won't be apparent. A purpose-designed macro lens reveals its advantages on flat field subjects such as document photography; when stopped down for maximum DOF without compromising too much on diffraction; minimal edge distortion and chromatic aberration.

I'm probably overlooking a few significant advantages to a dedicated macro lens. But those advantages are not always readily apparent in some conditions.

I don't always carry a macro lens in my bag, but usually have a closeup diopter to fit the lens filter threads. Sometimes that's good enough. Sometimes an extension tube works well enough with some lenses.

For some folks nothing less than purpose-designed macro gear will do, right down to a focusing rail for their tripod heads. (Perfectly understandable if you've ever wrestled with the wrong equipment to attain precise alignments.) For the rest of us, close enough is close enough.

I think you should separate between the two - using a low quality extension tube? not a problem, in order to get good results you just need it to be well attached to the lens, no hi-tech is really needed here. The lens is a different story - no matter how good the extension tube is, if the light enters through a 'bad' glass, it will affect the image.

Dave nice shot. You are quite right - often the motivation and the idea of a shot is the most important part.

Perhaps you can motivate many to experiment.

A small improvement of image quality may need a big increase in technique and money required. Often this is

necessary - but often we see overkill especially in a tech forum .-)